Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the message format that can be used with RS 485 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseNaveen

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have implemented a uart for operating with a rs 232 port in my fpga. now i have to include another controller for operating with rs 485 . what is the message format that can be used with rs 485 .? is it the same as in rs 232 ..? i use a start bit,8 data bits, and a stop bit in rs 232..?

Re: RS 485 in FPGA

RS-485 is just a physical layer defined to be a multidrop network with diferetinal pair and thats it. Most tranceivers have direct interface to standard UARTs. You could use the same controler of the RS-232. But if you are using a multidrop network you must define some addressing protocol. Most networks make use of 9-bits serial with automatic address detection. But as i wrote before, you could make any kind of comunication over RS-485 as the tranceivers does not have any kind of specific package format, frame or protocol.

I would be reasonable, to include an automatic RS485 transmitter enable generation with the UART.

thank u for ur replies..thats what exactly i was looking for..

RS-485 is just a physical layer defined to be a multidrop network with diferetinal pair and thats it. Most tranceivers have direct interface to standard UARTs. You could use the same controler of the RS-232. But if you are using a multidrop network you must define some addressing protocol. Most networks make use of 9-bits serial with automatic address detection. But as i wrote before, you could make any kind of comunication over RS-485 as the tranceivers does not have any kind of specific package format, frame or protocol.
9-bit means u say that i can use 1 bit to notify that its a address byte so that a node in a multidrop network can be selected?

Yea exactly that. But you don't need to do that. You can just creat yourself a protocol to do that. But most of UARTS will work with 9-bits auto addressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back