Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: Info source for this 16F877A Development board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louarnold

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone provide me with a URL or other source for the proto board that I have?

I have attached a zip file of the PDF showing an incomplete/inaccurate wiring schematic. I have also included a jpg of the board itself.

I know that the board can be purchased via Microchip as well as other sources, but I cannot get an accurate wiring schematic or any other info about it. I have searched the web for hours. I suspect the diagram is from an exercise booklet that used to be included with the complete kit.

Hi,

On the photo there seems to be a www.something by the 5v regulator, but its too small to see.

Have not seen it on the Microchip site - though it does have a lot on it.

The schematic, from a quick look, seems quite normal, what are you finding to be wrong.. ?

For such a small , simple board I would have thought you could easily traced the layout visually or with the aid of a ohm meter ..?

Let us know what you think is wrong or what is not happening - it my well be your software, if so we could test your code to prove the fault.

The schematic doesn't follow the board exactly, so who knows what else is different. The 6 pin header is not there, but an RJ11 jack is in its place. Tracing the connections is not foolproof and if I'm going to interface to it, I want to know what's there is so I don't fry anything. In this matter I learned the hard way.

But thanks for your help. I did receive a reply from CCS, but the schematic was the same. The booklet it came in is however outdated. So I am really not much farther ahead.

Hi,

Well if thats the only board you have it seems a shame to trash it just because of a connector.

Really cannot see other things on the board being wrong, think they have just changed the icsp header to make it compatible with the Microchip programmers.

First though just need to ask what kind of programmer you have and does it have an output cable or connector ?

Think at worst you just need a cheap simple cable and connector to overcome the problem for whatever programmer you have.

What are your building abilities, just plugs thing together or happy to do some basic soldering ? ( not on the board or the programmer )

Well, I hadn't planned to trash anything. I am just careful.

The RJ11 connect to a PIC programmer, and that all works well. But the rest remains to be seen.

The interfacing will be done via a breadboard. But this is for a college course and I need to be confident that things are not interfering with the purpose of the lab.

Perhaps at some time later I'll get to the soldering part.

Thanks anyway.

Hi,

If you can program the chip ok then thats 99.9% working fine.

All you need to do its a little test program to turn on each port so that you can test it with a led or voltmeter.
The three lines set up as inputs can again be easily tested using another port to turn on a led , if a high or low input condtion is met.

Are you able to write such a routine at the moment or just starting out ? - assembler or C ?

The course is C programming and interfacing with the PIC. I have already written and run the LED tests that you recommended, and many more that use chip functions. But everything is kind of flaky. One could never tell if downloading the program to the chip worked or not. I still struggle with this every day.

But overall, I want not to burn something out as I did with my last eval board. That kit cost me over $150 and I burned it out with one wrong move. So I want to know what is where. I'm sure you understand.

Thanks again
Lou.

Hi,

But everything is kind of flaky.

One could never tell if downloading the program to the chip worked or not. I still struggle with this every day.

That all sounds a bit strange.. do you mean that the program running on the chip seemed Flaky or the programming of the chip.

You say you have a Pic programmmer, can I ask the exact type as there are many units out there, and if not a Microchip unit what progamming software are you using ?
Some of the diy programmers / software can be flaky, but things like the Microchip Pickit2 which I use are rock solid.

Cannot help with the C code as I only do assembler but if your running program is flaky then I would suspect your code may be missing somethings.
I could send a small .hex file you could program up and flash the leds - depending how it ran, stable or flaky, it would indicate where the problem area is.

Its a Microchip PIC Programmer, but its still flaky. Even the instructor agrees.

I must end here. Too much homework.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.