Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor question about a short between Emitter and Collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanaia

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am just not sure what happen when there is a short between Emitter - Collector? So, I have B 10.1v; E 10.7v and C 3.6v. Logical - the collector voltage should increase(but how much??)

In my diagram the C is coupled with the B of another Transistor where B 3.6v; E 4.2v

I think, that the current will increase and destroy the second transistor, but I am not sure..

Can you guys, give me some advise...pls

Re: Transistor Question

Nothing will happen to the transistor when you shorten C with E, but components around it may be damaged due to unlimited currents (short means 0 ohm) ..
However, when you release the short and damage has occurred to a component (or components) connected to it, there is a good chance that it also will be damaged ..

IanP
:D

Hi IanP,

thank you for your answer.

But what about the voltage from the E to C? Will it increase? If I think, that there is almost 0 ohm resistance(becous short EC), the voltage should go higher! Am I right....? I fiel just very unsure....
And If this unlimited current flow from the C to the base of the second Transistor, who should be over heated and destroyed or....

thank you

Really No one can help with....

Transistor Question

well, when u short E and C they will as a point and the voltage will be the same but how much?
it depends on how u connect this trans. say that there 1k resistor between the collector and VCC and the emitter was connected with GND hence, the Vc and Ve are both equal zero but if the emitter was connected to 1K resistor then to GND in that case, Ve =Vc = .5VCC
so that the voltage depends on the biasing connections
but for the current : the current measured in the loop unlike voltage which can be measured at a point and Iec will depend also on the closed pass in which it flow

i hope this help

Thank you IPF,

it all make sense.... I am learning how that staff work together.

Have a good day

Status
Not open for further replies.