Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck regulator stability operating in DCM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmosekv

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a simple synchronus voltage mode PWM Buck regualtor 5V to 2.5V design with load at 2.5A, it operates in CCM and it's stable. However, when the load is reduced to 250mA, the regulator is operating in DCM and it's unstable.

Anyone know why and how to solve this issue.

If it has a synchronous rectifier, I don't see how the buck would operate discontinuous. The current flow will reverse in the inductor if it approaches zero but that is not discontinuous. Maybe it is due to your load becoming smaller which is changing the transfer function. You may need to stabilize your regulator to operate at lighter loads.

snafflekid,

You are correct. There's an error in my simulation making the low side switch reverse conducting thus actually making inductor current goes negative making it DCM. However, when load is increased to 2.5A there's no negative inductor current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back