Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Computer SMPS + Inverter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkey41

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello there,

I have an old computer SMPS : Input 100-240, Output - 12V with 85A.

Is it possible to use this SMPS as a power source for a Standard 12V/220V Inverter to get fluctuation free 220V AC for my computer ?

I am facing voltage fluctuation problem where I live and I have lost (probably because of this fluctuation) a couple of Harddisks and RAMs in my computer.

Any idea ?

Thanks

P.S:
I have access to an old HP-54600B Oscilloscope. Can I use it to see 220V waveforms ?

Hi, the smps can not do this job because the output is 12VDC and you need 220VAC,what you simply need is UPS for your computer.

Thanks Kabiru for your reply.

UPS was written mistakenly .
Actually I wanted to write an Inverter - a standard 12V DC to 220V AC inverter.

I have corrected it in my original post.

Hello donkey41,i suggest you use the ups for your computer but if you prefer the inverter;fine their are a lots of inverter circute diagram that will work for you.

thanks again kabiru,

I do not need any circuit of ups, inverter or an smps.
All I want to know is whether I can use a 12 Volt source for my inverter in place of a lead-acid battery.
I have a good source of 12 Volt with 80+ Amperes.

Hi donkey41, if your power source is smooth and stable you can use it.

Many thanks,

If I place a Battery in parallel with the 12V source just for the case when mains line
goes down for some reason (we call it load shedding here in pakistan,), would it
damage the battery in any way, because the source (my smps in this case) will
provide 12V constantly ?

yes it will work but you need a comparator to control the charging of the battery to avoid over charging.

with 12v power supply you can't charge lead acid battery directly, and for proper operation the battery has to be charged till 13.8v for continues use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back