Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between Hspice & HspiceS, Spectre and Spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryssw

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hspice

I am a Newbie here, Can somebody tell what is the difference between Hspice and HspiceS simulator in Cadence? Also for Spectre and SpectreS?
Thanks very much! :wink:

hspices hspiced

I think S means Socket. That is to say, if you have the license of Hspice, you can use the Hspice simulator in Cadence by the socket.
If any error others please correct.

spectre spice

What's the meaning of Socket?

hspices

It means "connect, contact, join,etc". I think it is used between the different simulator tools from different EDA company.

hspiced hspices

Hi,

there are two simulation "methodes" in cadence dfII:
1. direct simulation approach, only spectre
2. socket simulation approach, hspice,hsim......
the direct simulation approach is only used for the build in spectre simulator. cadence say it is more efficient than the socket simulations, because there the netlist have to be translated first into a cds-spice netlist.

but the question about spectre and spectreS, i can't answer too.

greetings,
hqqh

hspice spectre

spectreS stands for spectre in Spice-Socket. So the netlist is similar to spice. In the analog artist the components are netlisted as Spice primitives where most simulator commands are in spectre native language. Spectre themselve differentiate between spectre native syntax and Spice syntax with a language switch command.

SpectreS and spectre netllisting both are relative slow compared to others.

spice spectre

Thanks for all of your informations. So does there is any difference in terms of speed, accuracy or other aspect for hspice, hspiceS, spectre & spectreS?

spectre hspice

Rfsystem,
I don't agree with you. Native spectre(or direct spectre) is fast.
You are right about the slow socket simulation & spice, spectre switch syntax though.
spectreS is nothing but Socketed spectre.
The socket comes from old cadence spice called cdsSpice.
All the third party simulators can be integrated to cadence using this cdsSpice socket(example hspiceS, eldo etc smartSpice mica tispice).

Cadence Artist <=> cdsSpice <=> Thirdparty simulators

However, this is kind of obsolete now.
Cadence now promotes Direct Simulation Interface(OASIS) for third party vendors. So no more socketing. For example,
The hspiceS will become hspiceD but the simulator is still the same.
Bottomline it is all about the netlisting but the simulator is just the same.

spectra spice

There is no speed differenc executing spectre or while spectre being in the netlist read/flatten phase.

But the netlist procedure is slow. That is similar for spectre and spectreS.

cadence spectre spice

for both spectre and spectreS the engine is the same.
The real speed gain comes when you run parametric analysis.
I f you run spectreS you will see that it is slower than spectre.

difference between spice and spectre

Another relevant point is that Spectre is the full simulator and SpectreS is just a socket simulator for the cadence environment.

Spectre has more features than SpectreS just like Hspice has more features than HspiceS. The reason is simple; it takes manpower to design and upgrade software. Independent products are upgraded more than platform specific products.

difference between hspice and spectre

What does socket imply here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back