Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pads Logic and Layout square around text question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittmaster

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there any way to turn it off? It seems anything that is text driven has a "square" drawn around it. I don't like that and would like to disable that "feature", I can't see anywhere in the options or customization that allows me to turn it off.

It is very distracting. I've searched here for "square around text", "pads text"......and nothing even remotely talks about it, nor does "the google".

Anyone know how to fix this??

Thank you
Chris

I know there's the quite annoying and visible rectangle around the text extents in PADS Logic (schematic capture). you can turn it of by going to Setup-Display Colors... and turning the "Box" column to the same color as the background color. The box is still there, but it's no longer visible, see image below.

While in there, you should set up the colors the way you want things displayed.

You can then save the color configuration at the bottom of the dialog.

As for PADS Layout, I don't think the extents rectangle can be made visible, but it is there (and is QUITE annoying). About all you can do with/about it is set the clearance to something tiny, like .1 mil (or .1mm if you prefer).

And don't add any copper text until late in the design process. You have to be in DRO mode (DRCs off) to place text anyway. Just be careful to make sure the text has an adequate real-world clearance to traces, pads or whatever and not worry about the silly extents box.

Personally, I avoid copper text as much as possible.

Thanks you, someone also contacted me private via email and both of you arrived at the same answer, thank you very much, it was driving me crazy!

On another note, do you notice that when you select a component or any object to move it, it leaves a "ghost" image behind until you update the screen?

And finally, is there any way to make the wheel mouse act like page up page down for zoom control??

So far everything else is kinda making sense, I'm using the eval for a new job that I'm starting Monday, and they are using this package, so I'm trying to get up to speed.

Thanks!
Chris

Hold the CTRL button while rolling the wheel.

Rolling the wheel by itself scrolls up and down.

If you hold the SHIFT button while rolling the wheel, the screen will scroll left and right.

Hitting "Insert" will pan towards the cursor, as will clicking the middle button/wheel.

Holding the middle button/wheel and moving the mouse will zoom in and out, depending which direction you drag the cursor. Dragging down zooms out, dragging up zooms in.

"Page Up" zooms in, "Page Down" zooms out.

Hitting "Home" zooms to extents of the visible image in Logic, to the extents of the board outline in Layout.

Added after 15 minutes:

Oh, the ghost image. That artifact comes and goes with releases for some reason. Annoying, but harmless.

FYI, the "End" key refreshes the screen.

I mentioned this in another post (look for "New to Pads 2007.4"), but there's a list of modeless commands in "Help". Get that and print it out. very useful until you get a handle on them.

Pads layout and text.
One way to solve the text box in layout is to create desired text in some tool such as autocad or solidworks if you have it available. Or any tool that can export a dxf.
You can pull dxf into layout and convert it to copper shape. At this point you can set rules for spacing to whatever needed.

Yes, I agree it is kind of a pain in the rear but it will get rid of that annoying box.

eda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back