Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS EMC regulations overdone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have just designed and assembled a 20 Watt offline LED light.

SCHEMATIC:
https://i45.tinypic.com/10sg74o.jpg

The EMC filtering is very basic, and there is no shielding. –this product would definitely not conform to any EMC regulations.

-However, the product is currently on a table right next to a computer and that computer is not malfunctioning.
-Also, I am listening to my AM radio which is about 1 metre away from this SMPS –
and the AM radio is working fine.

So why have we all these incredibly strict EMC regulations.?

In order to conform to EMC regulations, I will have to damp the film capacitors that I’ve used with resistors, and that’s going to waste power.
The EMC filtering and noise damping etc will add at least 1 Watt to the bulb’s power usage.

Now imagine every light bulb in the UK (for example) using an extra Watt…………….

….that means several hundred EXTRA MegaWatts of power being used…………..more power stations, burning fuel……..fuel that we don’t have inside our shores……..MegaWatts which soon will have to come from a windfarm on a fairly still day–or your storage battery. –or your small generator in your shed, perhaps.

As far as lighting is concerned, a light bulb, hanging off the ceiling in your average household , is not likely to cause an EMI problem.

So why are EMC regulations so so strict.?

SMPS products are being needlessly damped so as to conform with EMC regulations which are far too strict and are “one size fits all”.

It seems that the worst case for EMI is taken to make the EMC regulations for everything else.

-This light bulb is not going to be situated next to a flight computer on an airliner…….so why does it have to conform to EMC regulations the same as equipment that will be so situated.?

And by the way, whilst my 20W , non EMC conformant SMPS was powering my LED light, near to my perfectly functioning AM radio, I hear George Galloway on the same radio saying that UK homes will suffer frequent loss of electricity after the next few years.

I think efficiency must now come ahead of overly strict EMC regulations.

When our electricity supply starts going out …….we’ll realise that we need to preserve every drop of energy, and not bother conforming to unnecessary EMC regulations.

Do you agree?

Please pass this to your local MP, or Governor, or Senator etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back