Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why red solder masking is used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinki patel

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the teachnical reson to used diffrent types of i.e red,blue,green solder masking on pcb
it has any relation with emi-emc or performance of product?

No technical reason, just preferences.

As an example, I once tried to setup a scheme where normal PCB's had Green masking - these were sold as normal, Blue masking was for prototype batches that could only be sold with written approval from a director and Red masking was R&D prototypes that on no account could they be sold or used in any production equipment.

Worked fine for a few weeks until they sold a Red board :( :D :D

So the colour of the mask is only whatever you want it to be, whatever scheme your company uses.

Same goes for the legend colour, we used to use Yellow because a director had defective vision & could see Yellow better.

Aesthetics. The pigment color of the solder mask is arbitrary, and doesn't cost any different at the fab house. It can be used to make a product stand out (when visible) or to match a corporation's or product's color scheme. Video cards and MoBos play with different colors all the time.

And color coding your prototypes is a great way to tell what the board is from across the room. :D

I even think that no pigment (clear) can be an option.

kender said:
....brown from inner copper planes.

Not copper colored? :p

But yes, I've seen a few boards like this. Looks neat.

Sometimes this is due to the need to slightly improve thermal properties of PCB concerning radiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back