Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Extremely accurate/precise RTD circuit ocean instr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swinchen

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All. I am developing an oceanographic data instrument that need very accurate (+/- 0.01 degrees C) temperature detection capabilities. In fact +/- 0.001 degrees C would be preferable. I started a design that involved a precision current source, high-quality instrumentation amp. Seeing I am only interested in a narrow temperature range (-5 - 25 degrees C) I followed the instrumentation amp with a difference amplifier to remove the baseline voltage, and scale it up to the full scale of the A/D. I was going to do a 4 point measurement on the RTD to avoid any wire resistance effects. Then I found this: https://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/34-05/sensor/index.html (Namely figure 9)

AC-excitation of the RTD seems to have a number of benefits. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this considered on of the "best" ways of measuring an RTD?

What I would do here is reduce the reference resistor so the AD would be full scale over my desired temperature range, and use the built in 6-bit DAC offset to remove the baseline from the RTD.

Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.