Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Bottle warmer has burned help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameeds01

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an Electronic Bottle warmer AC 110v 60Hz 400w, but in our country we have 220v 50Hz so I used an Electronic step down converter, It has burned my Electronic Bottle warmer, I asked the company for the reason they told me its because of using Electronics step down converter, they recommend me to use ordinary Transformer based step down converter why???

Your converter was probably just a diode. It reduces the power used by simple things by cutting the time that it is powered in half.
Your bottle warmer is not the same simple circuit.

If it has actually been a simple power diode: Connecting a 110 V heater through a diode to 220 V still doubles the heater power. May be sufficient to damage it. Also the current consumption is possibly too high for the "converter's" rating. Actually "electronics step down converter" isn't a clear term. It can mean a lot and doesn't neccessarily involve a reliable technique.

FvM said:
If it has actually been a simple power diode: Connecting a 110 V heater through a diode to 220 V still doubles the heater power.
No.
The diode cuts the time the heater is powered in half. Then the average power is half.

hameeds01 said:
I have an Electronic Bottle warmer AC 110v 60Hz 400w, but in our country we have 220v 50Hz so I used an Electronic step down converter, It has burned my Electronic Bottle warmer, I asked the company for the reason they told me its because of using Electronics step down converter, they recommend me to use ordinary Transformer based step down converter why???
The said converter is having a dimmer circuit with a triac in the final stage which chops the AC waveform to give a 50% waveform at the output thus dropping the voltage. But usually, these type of converters are not so acuurate and I personally dont use or recomend them. You may use a 220 to 110 volt transformer to drop down the volatge which will be safest way of voltage convertion for your heater. When you use a transformor, the input and output wave form remains the same and the volatge is fixed by the windings. Cheers

No. The diode cuts the time the heater is powered in half. Then the average power is half.
Please consider P = U²/R
A heater rated for 400W at 110 V gives 1600 W at 220V. Connecting it through a diode gives 800W. Or as I stated:
Connecting a 110 V heater through a diode to 220 V still doubles the heater power.
In other words, a diode halves the power consumption of a resistive heater. But it's generally unsuitable to connect a heater to a doubled voltage.
Recent power quality regulations don't allow to connect half-wave rectifier equipment to the power grid, by the way.

Actually, I don't know how the said converter is operating. If it's a simple diode, it generally involves 100% overload of the connected device. A phase angle control with 60° angle would in contrast give rated power output at doubled input voltage.

but my Electric Heater 1300w is working fine with this stepdown converter y? & i am using it for long time

That's good. Is it working roughly with nominal power? Actually, it's impossible to know the converter's operation principle
from the vendor's information.

Apart from this problem, it also may be the case, that the bottle warmer uses a special circuit, e.g. an electronical
temperature controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back