Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is USB port maximum current ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameeds01

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
USB port current ??

how much maximum current that i can draw from the USB port of my labtop??
what gonna happen if in case i short the USB supply lines 5Volts ????
does it has any protection circuit in it to protect the laptop??

USB port current ??

Maximum current you can drain vary from 100mA-500mA(max) and it is overcurrent protected.

My desktop machine use to reboot if I drain too much current, although I never actually measured it!

Re: USB port current ??

hi

My desktop machine use to reboot if I drain too much current

My laptop powersdown usb device and give me a warning that usb device is consuming high current

Nandhu

hameeds01 said:
how much maximum current that i can draw from the USB port of my labtop??
what gonna happen if in case i short the USB supply lines 5Volts ????
does it has any protection circuit in it to protect the laptop??

laptop usually support 5V. mainborad usaually has protection circuit.

but i don't suggest you do it.:D

USB port current ??

New versions of mother boards have a poly fuse in series to protect the USB port from over loading. In case a load is connected above the set limit, a popout window on the screen warns the user about the same. But do always do experiments at your own risks. Cheers

USB port current ??

usually for USB 2.0 initially supplies 100 mA without request, if you need more current the USB device must request this from the hub in terms of units, each unit 100 mA till you get the maximum which is 500 mA.

pranam77 said:
New versions of mother boards have a poly fuse in series to protect the USB port from over loading. In case a load is connected above the set limit, a popout window on the screen warns the user about the same. But do always do experiments at your own risks. Cheers

Nice to know that.

It very well explains are my old desktop use to reboot instead of giving over current drain warning as mentioned by nandhu015.

Status
Not open for further replies.