Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS isolation__safe secondary voltage if >42V ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am doing SMPS’s running from 230Vrms Mains.
Please could you tell which of the following scenarios is safe?
-also please indicate those that violate UK laws.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Scenario 1:

If I make an offline, non-isolated buck converter with +20V output voltage , -and supposing I touch this +20V output voltage terminal, -then this is too low a voltage to harm me ,…..
….so why do we need “safety isolation” with a transformer in this case?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Scenario 2:
If I make a non-isolated buck converter with an +80V DC output and I touch the +80V terminal, -then I will be harmed, since +80V is high enough to harm.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Scenario 3:

If I make an offline flyback converter with an 80V DC output (fully transformer isolated), and I touch the +80V output terminal AS WELL as touching the secondary return terminal , then I will be harmed

(-provided I am not already dead from Scenario 2 ?!)

-The transformer surely provides NO real safety barrier though ?…..since energy can simply pass through the transformer, from the mains.

And the question here, if you would be so kind, is …………….
Which is worse, is it Scenario 2 or Scenario 3?

Am I still alive at this point?
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Scenario 4:
Now (providing I am still alive!) I make an offline flyback converter with an +80V DC output (fully transformer isolated).

I then use a non-isolated buck converter to provide a +20V output from the isolated +80V output.

The +20V output feeds LEDs which are mounted to a heatsink (via insulating pads). This heatsink is open to the world and customers could touch it if they wanted.

Would this product of Scenario 4 be illegal ?
-and is it a killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.