Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC Filter calculations for smoothing off a square wave to a sine wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringo888

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I have a square wave that I need to smooth off to a sine wave using an RC filter, it needs to rolloff at 5KHz, i'm assuming I need a Low Pass RC network. What values would you suggest? I take it you use:

Fc= 1/(2.Pi.R.C)

Any advise would be a big help.

Thanks,
Ringo

rc filter

C=0.16/(Fc*R) for R=1k
C=32nF=33nF or
R=0.16/(F*C) and for C=10nF
R=3.3K

rc filter calculator

ringo888,
The formula you propose is the correct one to use for a first order low pass filter with a corner frequency of f. However, you don't mention the kind of "smoothing" performance that you need. You can not get a high quality sine wave by running a square wave through a first order filter. A square wave consists of an infinite sum of fundamental and odd order harmonics.
For example,
The amplitude of the 3rd harmonic voltage component of a square wave is 1/3 times the amplitude of the fundamental voltage. A 1st order filter attenuates at a rate of approximately 3 dB/octave in the stop band. Since the 3rd harmonic is 0.585 octaves above the fundamental, the minimum power ratio of third harmonic to fundamental that can be expected for a first order filter[(1/3)^2](.585) = .065 dB. The minimum voltage ratio is the square root of this value, or .255.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back