Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can 89S be programmed using USBasp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can 89S programmed using USBasp?

sidy50 said:
Please suggest me whether the following steps are right or not...

1. Program a new Atmega8 Ic with USB51/main.Hex firmware.
2. Setting the Fuse Bytes and Programming them as shown above.

Is that all i have to do...?

Thanx

what was the result success ?

vijay_kadam said:
hay guys hello ,
Even i would like to make a programmer usbasp for 89s52
i have programmed atmega8 with main.hex suggested on site but its not working
i m using same pcb which is given on"fishdel's" site
plz suggest me any changes and i m pretty confused by the software can any one suggest what are the things required to set to programmed
Yes...you need to use the same hex file. No hardware modifications required. Do remember to program the fuses Hi= C9 and Low = EF. I personally use and recomend Prog ISP 1.65v or 1.68v which are my favourites.

07sunny said:
hi sidy...i need ur help in building usb isp programmer
i have made ckt according to **broken link removed**.
i m using atmega8L n programmed it wth main.hex using fuse bit ef for lower n c9 for higher bits.
now when i m connecting it with pc thn i m getting "usb device not recognized" message
i m using 12mhz osc. with 27pf. only one of the led is glowing
is this bcoz i m not using atmega8 or is thre any problem wth wires i m using to connect pc wth programmer
actually i m using 4 different wires connected to usb male one side n 4 pin connector on another side.
please help me out , anyone there i m helpless...
Your fuse bits used for programming the firware is Ok. But if you get "usb device not recognized" this means the drivers are not accepted or not installed or are not compatible with your Operating system. You didnt mention which one you use. I have heard some problems of the programmer with Vista.
When you have used 4 different wires connected to usb male, make suer you have not swapped the D1 and D2 data pins of the usb.

tpsbpl said:
what was the result success ?
Sid50 has alreday suceeded in the construction as he has mentioned in his previous posts.

Can 89S programmed using USBasp?

no, i have tried it. it does not work. do not waste your time. you can look for the one that has serial interface

akanbilukman said:
no, i have tried it. it does not work. do not waste your time. you can look for the one that has serial interface
This doesnt make the design a waste. The said design is tested, prototyped and worked by me personally and even today, i recomend this to all my friends. Many other members have too suceeded in this. If it didnt work for you may be some thing wrong on your hardware side. Check it. Yes..any one having problems are most welcome to share their problems and remedies here.

Can 89S programmed using USBasp?

can anybody tell me what is the basic principle of status signal in microprocessor..s1 s0 & io/M..i make out the function of io/M.bt i hv not understand the combination of s1 so for opcode fetch,memory read,memory write..etc..for these operations they have the the combination like 1 1,1 0, 0 1,,etc..plz help me to make out these status signal combination..rply..

souravchakraborty said:
can anybody tell me what is the basic principle of status signal in microprocessor..s1 s0 & io/M..i make out the function of io/M.bt i hv not understand the combination of s1 so for opcode fetch,memory read,memory write..etc..for these operations they have the the combination like 1 1,1 0, 0 1,,etc..plz help me to make out these status signal combination..rply..
Frankly speaking i didnt get about which micropocessor you are refering and how your question is related to the USB asp and its programing of 89S series chips?

It didn't work. I made this progammer on testboard, set fuse AT mega8 (low's EF and high's C9), programmed by main.hex
The result 's my laptop couldn't see this hardware (The notice's "This USB is not recognize ..."), My OS is WindowsXP SP2
Sometime i ask myself "does this programmer run ? ", waste many time to fix it.
Ah, who can show me how to set fuse as right ? I'm using PonyProg and ISP 3.0 with simple hardware to load firmware for ATmega8. In configuration fuse bit, when I check (tick) into each bit, it can be understood 0, uncheck is 1, some thing wrong ?

Hi,
I have built this circuit. And it surely works. In case the USB device is not recognized means the Atmega8 is not execuiting the firmware as USB is a stable firmware and it works. Definately there is a bug at your end
check the following :-
1) each and every connection with a multimeter
2) use a 22pF capacitor with 12 MHz resonator and if u have a scope check the clock for the Uc (I had a problem with a crystal resonator once)
3) try programming any avr with the USBASP before programming AT89sxx chips
4) check voltage level across the USB signals
5) Check if the loading resistor for the USB is on the correct pin of atmega8 (pin 14)

Asimov

Yes..i do agree with "asimov" It works fine. I have used, and recommend using ProgISP (**broken link removed**) as programming software. as you have assembled the circuit on a test board, i would suggest you to find some flaws in the HW. Cheers

yeah, bingooooooooooo
My USPISP Programmer was run very, very well :razz:8)
Now i'm using progisp v1.72 with this circuit, programming for 89S52, very fast :d
My problem's this circuit didn't run (computer cann't recognize it) untill I used a diode 1N4148 to connect from Vcc of USB connector to circuit. Actually, up to now I t can't understand why using diode ;-) But now, wonderful, i'm enjoying, hehe
many thanks to asimov, mod pranam77 and sidy50

programming 89S very well, but cannnot programming for AVR, hix hix

programming 89S very well, but cannnot programming for AVR, hix hix
If you have said " Can program AVR's but cannot program 89Sxx" it would have been ok. Coz the basic design of the USBASP is to program the AVR's. Please note that the Pin layout of the two chips are totally different. As you said in your last post, "you have suceeded in programming the 89Sxx", You cannot program AVR chip with the same cable and pin layout. The programming pins of the AVR's are located elsewhere which can be found on the Device datasheet. You need to connect respective pins of the programmer to the same pins of the AVR. Cross check, re-wire and then try programming again. Good luck.

Hi pranam77
Ofcouse I looked up pin's AVR datasheet (Ex Atmega8 ) and I made an adapter for atmega8. So miso, mosi, SCK, Reset pin of my AVR adapter are like position of 89S52. The most important that the level Reset of AVR and 89S52 are opposite. So I connected Reset pin AVR to GND (mass) during I test programming.
It's wonderful that I can erare the Atmega8 well, but after that, writting new program met Error :( The message like "Verify error at 0h" ... Sometimes, programmer cannot detect the ID of chip Atmega8 "The signature of chip donot math ..." and show 00 : 00 : xx : xx (xx: random)

Do you program AVR successfully ? (with master chip main.hex) ? can you show me how to program AVR ? When I looking more information about USPISP on Internet, many people said that they can program both AVR and 89S with UspISB, but I cannot :(

Last edited:

Hi pranam77
Ofcouse I looked up pin's AVR datasheet (Ex Atmega8 ) and I made an adapter for atmega8. So miso, mosi, SCK, Reset pin of my AVR adapter are like position of 89S52. The most important that the level Reset of AVR and 89S52 are opposite. So I connected Reset pin AVR to GND (mass) during I test programming.
It's wonderful that I can erare the Atmega8 well, but after that, writting new program met Error :( The message like "Verify error at 0h" ... Sometimes, programmer cannot detect the ID of chip Atmega8 "The signature of chip donot math ..." and show 00 : 00 : xx : xx (xx: random)

Do you program AVR successfully ? (with master chip main.hex) ? can you show me how to program AVR ? When I looking more information about USPISP on Internet, many people said that they can program both AVR and 89S with UspISB, but I cannot :(

The possible reasons are
1. AtMega8 damaged.
2. Hardware problem(a loose connection, improper soldering, etc.)

Yes..i do agree with sugessions by "nandhu015". Too as i have told in my previous posts, i recomend the use of progISP programming software for programming after the USB ASP is modified for 89Sxx. It works fine, and i am personally using this...Cheers

Hi pranam77

Hi,
I too had faced this problem, solutions recommended
1) check the crystal frequency for USBASP and change the crystal capacitor to 22pf
2) use short cable for the programmer and connecting 8051 to programmer

2) use short cable for the programmer and connecting 8051 to programmer
He is facing problems in programming the AVR's and not 89Sxx

Yup, coz up to now, my programmer still cannot program AVR, I need somebody ensure that this programmer (with main,hex firmware) can work with both uC 89S and AVR, so I'll try to repair my circuit :(
thanks all :D

Reactions: rudder

rudder

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I have already built it and personally using it for both Micro's. Apart from me, is "nandhu015", "asimov", "sidy50", "binu_ji" are some members i recall who have worked, and tested with the said modifications. Other members too may be have done it but may not have reported here. But it works. Cheers

Yup, coz up to now, my programmer still cannot program AVR, I need somebody ensure that this programmer (with main,hex firmware) can work with both uC 89S and AVR, so I'll try to repair my circuit :(
thanks all :D

What error do you get when you try programming AVR? Come up with more details. You can get it working.

Nandhu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back