Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Value of loss tangent FR4 for 2.3 GHz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jundi

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fr4 loss tangent

Hi, now I am designing LNA microstrip for 2.3 GHz. I must analyse microstrip loss. I using FR4 as substrat. Now I need loss tangent value for 2.3 GHz. I hope any person give me information about that. Because I don't know. When I search in google and read a book, i just found loss tangent for 1 MHz, 1 GHz, and 10 GHz.
Oke thanks

fr4 parameters

Hi

Well loss tangent for FR4 is not really specified through frequency, as it is not a HF material. This is why it is hard to find any information about this.
If would say it is in the area of 0.03-0.04. Quite high!

But if you search about FR4 on this forum you will find a lot of info about the same question you have.

Regards

loss tangent

The most important point with FR4 RF designs is, you have to keep a specific supplier and to assure additionally, that you are using actually the same quality. That's not obvious because major manufacturers have global production resources and may supply rather different products with the same name.

As said, GHz parameters aren't specified with FR4, even the basic parameter Er only roughly. Thus you have to evaluate the empirical parameters of your so-called FR4. If you don't like this way, use an explicite RF substrate.

loss tangent fr4

As pointed out FR4 is supposed to be a inexpensive board and the quality ( composition ratio ) is not tightly controlled so much so that the same PCB may have variations in different sections. If he application is not sensitive you can just take an approx 0.02 and go ahead.

hai..

i have same problem..
iam using FR4 for 2.3Ghz with dielectric 4.3 and h=1.6.. and loss tangent 0.09..
with AWR 2009

but i have trouble with Axial ratio value..

and i think the problem in value of loss tangent..

is there anyone can help me to find right loss tangent??

thanks

Some years ago, we measured some FR4 material for a 0.9-2.1GHz power splitter application. For our material, the extracted epsr was 4.7 (!) and the loss tangent was 0.027 at 2GHz.

Hi Volker,
Yes, European typical Epsr are between 4.6-4.8, but it can be some lower too...
I do calculate over long time i.e. w. 4.7 too, all resultates are OK!
K.

hi volker and karesz,

thank u for ur answer...

i have tried simulation last nite with value of loss tangent 0.03..

and i still didnt get value of axial ratio in 2.3 GHz..but i get in 1.9Ghz anad 2.7Ghz..

can u explain why i didnt get value of axial ratio in 2.3 GHz?

is there any mistake with my spec?

i do simulation with dual feed (50 and 100 ohm)...

Please help me..

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back