Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS Reception - how these GPS in htc's and iphones work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

movie_freak

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gps reception africa

Hi,

I have seen many GPS modules, with recieving capabilities only limited to the antenna being put under direct sky, i.e. GPS module i've come across does not receive valid GPS signals inside buildings..

Then how come some iphones and htc's with built-in gps modules show current location even inside the building.

But to notice i've also observed that the location shown by these GPS , are accurate if we are located directly under the sky otherwise if we are inside the building they show the current position on the map, which is very near (but they show this and its very near)just outside the building.

So, i would appreciate if anyone can help me understand how these GPS in htc's and iphones work??

Many Thanks
Surya

:D

GPS Reception

Hi,

when u r directly under the sky, the GPS built in mobile phone finds your exact position with the help of satellites. when u r inside a building ur phone finds your position with the help of BTS towers that surrounds you and gives a less accurate position..

Regards,
Anish

Re: GPS Reception

hmm.. you mean something like AGPS or cell id's based location tracking??

Status
Not open for further replies.