Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

S-parameter- what sort of reference should I implement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlcsp

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
s-parameter reference node close

Dear all,

I have a BGA package with solder bumps on top and solder balls on bottom, which belong to power, ground, and signal nets. However, I would like to treat all of them as signals since I want to connect the S-parameter block in the circuit schematic with other models e.g. RDL, PCB.

I did my simulation in CST-MWS. The question is, what sort of reference should I implement? One way to do it is to create virtual PEC planes underneath and above the package. But, aren't those two planes supposed to be physically connected? When yes, how should I connect them?

Later, I want to use my S-parameter for transient simulation. In ADS schematic, the S-parameter block has only one common reference node. How should I treat this node? Shoud I leave it open because it was initially only a virtual plane or should I ground it?

In Cadence schematic, the S-parameter block has pos/neg nodes for every port. Do the different neg nodes of the ports mean anything? In other words, can they be at different potential? And again, how should I treat them?

many thanks,
wlcsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back