Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can FPGA replace those architecture based on FPGA+DSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhj1985

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Generally, the most popular DSP archetecture which focused on complex digital signal processing is based on DSP +FPGA. FPGA is often used as a coprocessor for a DSP because those PowerPC 440 cores aren't as fast as DSP and those algorithms which are developed by C language can be developped more easily than those developed by Verilog or VHDL language.

However, as the time goes, FPGA has developped fast in recent years. I want to ask that whether those complex digital system which was based on DPS+FPGA can be replaced by FPGA now. And if it is, then how can I do that? I know Xilinx has developed those software such as system generator, but I don't know whether it can work out.

i think it will be FPGA+ARM's future!
because DSP has been embedded in it!

The new VIRTEX 4 and 5 Have a powerpc 440 core with a vector unit .This units are very sofisticated and code can be parellelized with a special program called a VECTORIZER it ouperforms a Ti C6711 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back