Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coaxial Feed Microstrip antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssheikmd

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
coaxial feed

Hi.. I would like to design coaxial feed microstrip patch antenna. How should i define the port at the feed point.

microstrip coax feed

hi

well you havent mentioned which simulation software you are using.
if you mention this and also post your model than someone may give you some advice

regards

ssheikmd

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
microstrip patch coaxial feed calculation

Hi.. Thanks ..

I'm using Zeland IE3D for simulation.

Added after 28 minutes:

I'm new to the field of RF and microwave. i wanna design the 2.45Ghz patch antenna.. Is anybody have the design procedure, parameters and calculation methods.

antenna feed microstrip coaxial

well unfortunately i am not using this software so i cant give you any help.
i hope someone using IE3D will see this post and help you

regards

designing coaxial feed for antenna

Thanks for spent time to read my post.. Do u have idea about HFSS

coax to microstrip

hi there

i can give you any advice on CST MWS.

unfortunately i havent used HFSS that much

regards

Anyone know how to model the coaxial feed of a patch antenna with FDTD please?

Re: designing coaxial feed for antenna

ssheikmd said:

Hi,
You can provide a coaxial feed to a microstrip antenna in HFSS by following way:
1. Determine which cable you are going to use lets say RG316.
2. Get its inner and outer diameter and the dielectric values.
3. model the coaxial cable in a seperate HFSS project. take the length to be say 5mm.
4. at both ends apply circular sheets, use lumped port or wave port at both ends and apply line of integration between the inner and outer conductors.
5. simulate for a very wide frequency range and check for return loss if it is well below -40 or -50 dB then its ok to use otherwise change the dimensions of outer conductor or inner .to get a decent return loss. idea is to use a caxial cable characteristic impedance calculators and then then play around those values.

once you get a good cable response use same dimensions in you main project by uniting the inner conductor to the microstrip feed and uniting the ground plane to outer of coaxial cable and run the simulation.

Hope this helps

-Ankesh

In IE3D it is very easy.. Just click on probe feed to patch icon present in menu bar. Then window will pop up. In that window mention X and Y position of feed and no of segments ( generally eighteen), then specify the radius of feed probe.
Hope this will be useful to u.

Re: coax to microstrip

hi,,, im using CST MWS to design a rectangular microstrip patch antenna...
my feeding type is Coaxial Probe...
pls help me how to design the probe feeding method in cst...

thank you...

one of the example in cst help manual is about patch antenna by coax -probe if you dont understand that example ,please send me your mail.my mail is (nf707at yahoo.com)

Re: designing coaxial feed for antenna

Ankesh Garg said:
ssheikmd said:

Hi,
You can provide a coaxial feed to a microstrip antenna in HFSS by following way:
1. Determine which cable you are going to use lets say RG316.
2. Get its inner and outer diameter and the dielectric values.
3. model the coaxial cable in a seperate HFSS project. take the length to be say 5mm.
4. at both ends apply circular sheets, use lumped port or wave port at both ends and apply line of integration between the inner and outer conductors.
5. simulate for a very wide frequency range and check for return loss if it is well below -40 or -50 dB then its ok to use otherwise change the dimensions of outer conductor or inner .to get a decent return loss. idea is to use a caxial cable characteristic impedance calculators and then then play around those values.

once you get a good cable response use same dimensions in you main project by uniting the inner conductor to the microstrip feed and uniting the ground plane to outer of coaxial cable and run the simulation.

Hope this helps

-Ankesh

hello ankesh

is it necessary to unite the inner conductor to the microstrip feed and the ground plane to outer of coaxial cable using the Modeler>Boolean>Unite option ?? Can I not just match the dimensions of both the inner conductor and the microstrip feed?

thanks

Re: coax to microstrip

hi there

i can give you any advice on CST MWS.

unfortunately i havent used HFSS that much

regards

a little help here..i need to know how to use coaxial feed?i use cst as well..

i want to know how to apply coaxial feed in antenna design.. i'm required to design dipole antenna using cst..do you think what kind of feed is suitable to use during the simulation?

my senior said, its better that you use discrete port

ok then..i will try use discrete port..thank you for ur help..:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back