Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed with connecting Transmissive Optoschmitt Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcalite

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
using transmissive optoschmitt sensor

Hi All,
I need help hooking up this sensor to a microcontroller. I do not wish to blow it up as I only have one. The link for the data sheet is below. My questions are as follows....

1) I have easy access to a 5V supply. On the detector side, can I connect +5V to Vcc and Gnd to ground and get a proper TTL level signal for the microcontroller.

2) I need to know how to connect the emitter. Can I connect it to a 5V supply. Does the +5V connect to anode or cathode. Do I need a current limiting resistor.

Thanks a lot yau'll

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Honeywell Sensing & Control PDFs/HOA2004-001.pdf

Re: Help needed with connecting Transmissive Optoschmitt Sen

1) Yes. Datasheet says you can.

2) Looking at 'IRED Forward Bias Characteristics' and for temperature of 25°C and about 20mA drive current, the device has a voltage drop of 1.25v. This means that 3.75v will be dropped across the limiting resistor, ie

Rlim = 3.75v/0.02A
= 187.5Ω, nearest value being 180Ω, depending on the application you may be able to reduce the drive current to a lower level.

The cathode should be connected to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back