Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to read / write from External memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ermtariq

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to store some variable in RAM which is outside the microcontroller , can you suggest me how to read and write in RAM and How to use xdata ...........
Thankyou

Hi,

If you are using Keil for the microcontroller programming, you can use MOVX instruction to write in the external memory.

Check it out. It may help u.

Thanks..

HAK..

Added after 3 minutes:

Hi,

this is the command description:

Operation: MOVX
Function: Move Data To/From External Memory (XRAM)
Syntax: MOVX operand1,operand2

Instructions OpCode Bytes Cycles Flags
MOVX @DPTR,A 0xF0 1 2 None
MOVX @R0,A 0xF2 1 2 None
MOVX @R1,A 0xF3 1 2 None
MOVX A,@DPTR 0xE0 1 2 None
MOVX A,@R0 0xE2 1 2 None
MOVX A,@R1 0xE3 1 2 None

Description: MOVX moves a byte to or from External Memory into or from the Accumulator.

If operand1 is @DPTR, the Accumulator is moved to the 16-bit External Memory address indicated by DPTR. This instruction uses both P0 (port 0) and P2 (port 2) to output the 16-bit address and data. If operand2 is DPTR then the byte is moved from External Memory into the Accumulator.

If operand1 is @R0 or @R1, the Accumulator is moved to the 8-bit External Memory address indicated by the specified Register. This instruction uses only P0 (port 0) to output the 8-bit address and data. P2 (port 2) is not affected. If operand2 is @R0 or @R1 then the byte is moved from External Memory into the Accumulator.

Thanks..

HAK..

Hi

I am using Keil and programming language is "C" ...

can you answer some question...

1. What is diffrence b/w Flash memory and programme memory
2. has size of hex file include both memory..
3. how many memory microcontroller have

Hi,

The programme memory can be ROM, EEPROM or flash which can store the code whn the power is switched off. The data memory can be volatile i.e. RAM for which data is available only whn the power is on.

For available controller memory and location pls visit the site:
https://www.esacademy.com/faq/docs/51memmodel/

It may help you..

Thanks..

HAK..

How is your memory connected ?

Status
Not open for further replies.