Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor transconductance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykab

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell me why transistor transcondutances are the most important paramenters in opamps that must be stabilized?

sykab said:
Can anyone tell me why transistor transcondutances are the most important paramenters in opamps that must be stabilized?

I think transconductance (GM) is the core of OPAMP.

If it can't be stable, how to confirm the stablity of OPAMP?

sykab

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In an opamp, there are a few important specs. First there is the gain, which is expressed in terms of gm*R terms (for each stage). So you see that when gm changes, the total gain changes. However, this isn't usually a big deal, since the gain is made very large, and small variations don't matter much.
The bigger reason that gm is important is that the frequencies of the dominant pole and the non-dominant pole depend on gm. If these frequencies change, the bandwidth of the opamp changes.
So you can see that gm has a big impact on the gain and bandwidth of an opamp.

sykab

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back