Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wire delay versus cell delay, how to evaluate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jifeng.Cui

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As we all know, the wire delay would contribute more to path delay as technologies shrink down, such as 45nm node. But how to evaluate it before real design? I know we could layout small circuit to see the delay percentage, if we want to compare the wire delay in two technologies, such as 90nm and 45nm, what can we do to reflect the real case, like, the circuit topology(what circuit)? drive strength, wire level (how many metal layers we use in this example) and the wire length.........
Do anyone have suggestions? OR any prior work that I can reference to?

:cry:

There are basically n number of solutions, its upto you to decide which one you want to follow.

Going from 90nm to 45nm, You have to make sure before running simulations that you actually calculate the delay difference ONLY due to wires and not because of other technological factors. Prepare a setup for the same.

If you dont feel like doing this by yourself, let me know. I will provide the complete solution but you will learn only when you think and try to do by yourself.

Cheers!!!

To onlymusic16:
Yes, the tricky part is how to take out the unnecessary factor. In my mind, I have to resort to ring oscillator wi/wo interconnect with minimum rule. But I don't know if this will reflect the real case.
"n solutions" scared me~~, i'm good at device but not so good at circuit, :)
If you have good suggestions, pls share with me, many thanks!!

Added after 3 minutes:

Hi, ljxpjpjljx
Any further infomation about Physical Compiler to evaluate the wire delay? Do you mean setup a test circuit using PC and check the delay percentage?

thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back