Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do we use VCO and not fixed frequency oscillator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

symsnowfairy

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Excuse me, the oscillators with fixed oscillation frequency usually have relatively higher Q factor, so why do we use VCO?

Re: Why use VCO?

The answer is in your question.

One is controlled and one is fixed.

Why use VCO?

VCO used as a part of many circuits, for example PLL

I think my question is not clear enough.
I guess it is because tunable filter is not easily realized, we use VCO to get a fixed output frequency although the input signal is of different frequencies.

I don't understand you, know.

But i think Old Nick's answer is Ok.

Well I can give one example for you ... you have to understand mixing and intermediate frequencies to get it:

I've just worked on a project where we used a magnetron as a source. The frequency drifts with temperature changes. The source is mixed a few times and filtered (A SAW filter, very high Q). If the source drifts too much then when we mix, the resulting signal does not make it through the passband. The only thing we could do was design a PLL with a VCO so we could change intermediate frequencies, which would bring the resultant back into the passband.

Hope this isn't too complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back