Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS interfacing with PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

adityatyagi99

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I m using fastrax GPS OEM module. When I connect it to the PC , I got corrupted data on the hyperterminal. I have given the same baud rate and same setting as given in the datasheet.
But can't get the desired result. Can anybody guide me what can be the problem.

One possible problem is that these new generation gps modules claim to have the RS-232 port whereas in the reality they use only 0-5V or in some cases 0-3.3V as the output levels ..
Try to use an oscilloscope and "see" what voltage levels your gps module sends out ..
Your PC most likely will work with 0-5V but if the voltage levels are below that threshold you may face problems ..

Rgds,
IanP

IanP said:
One possible problem is that these new generation gps modules claim to have the RS-232 port whereas in the reality they use only 0-5V or in some cases 0-3.3V as the output levels ..
Try to use an oscilloscope and "see" what voltage levels your gps module sends out ..
Your PC most likely will work with 0-5V but if the voltage levels are below that threshold you may face problems ..

Rgds,
IanP

Actually I have used OEM module and made a circuit through max232 on my own. So there is no such kind of problem. The problem is something else....

surely the Baud rate will be different, else you wont get correct data.
whats the baud rate you are using?

heyya
i also need help abouh interfacing my gps with pc...
i am using garmin etrex gps....can anyone tell me how to send my current position from gps to hyperterminal....
i hav worked with hyperterminal before...n i am setting it at 4800baudrate....
but i do not know much about gps....i never used it before...
i am doing an interfacing between gps n hyperterminal..but no data is showing...

regardx
jia...

jia jee said:
heyya
i also need help abouh interfacing my gps with pc...
i am using garmin etrex gps....can anyone tell me how to send my current position from gps to hyperterminal....
i hav worked with hyperterminal before...n i am setting it at 4800baudrate....
but i do not know much about gps....i never used it before...
i am doing an interfacing between gps n hyperterminal..but no data is showing...

regardx
jia...

6 days passed.....no help at all...:|

You may need to enable the serial port in the GPS.

For this go to Interface page and in I/O format select NMEA OUT.

AMK1971 said:

okie...got it...thanks...:)

.....plz can u xplain in bit more detail.....
"interface page"...as in..?

Some GPS modules require the RX pin to be pulled up if not used for proper operation. If you are not using the RX pin, connect it to the supply via a 10KOhm resistor.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back