Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what type of resistor suitable for filtering purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMurry

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need to create a low pass filter for an assignment.

there are many type of resistor based on their element for example ceramic, carbon film, alloy etc.
my lecturer mentioned that some resistor elements are suitable for filter circuit while some not.

mind to tell me which are suitable and which aren't?
thanks in advance. :D

Well, it´s not so easy to answer. As you probably know - everything in analog electronics is a compromise. The resistor selection (as well as selection of all other parts) depends on your requirements resp.the order of requirements. That means: which property of the filter is most important (tolerance, temp-co, cost, reliabilty, parasitics, ....)?
In this context, it is important to know the frequency range of your filter.
In general, one can say that metal film and wirewound resistors have good tolerances and and a low temperature coeff. As metal types are cheaper they are widely utilized in filter techniques. However, wirewound types are bad as far as parasitics are concerned.

Filter transfer characteristics depend allso on resistor parasitics. First of all it is series inductance and second parallel capacitance. Other resistor parameters have influence on filter stability over temperature, time etc.
I think your main task is not filter design but study of different resistor type properties.

hi!
you can use wire wound type resistor in filtering purposes ,cause it is more lager than a carbon type resistor and cannot be hardly be burned out 'you can use 5 watts or larger than that, you can also uae carbon type if it is 1 in size, but i assuare you that wirewound type is more usefull!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back