Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference b/w magnetron oscillator and klystron Oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkateshkumar

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hai

any one can help me please

whats the difference between the Magnetron Oscillator, Klystron Oscillator and the Gunn OScillator while doing Microwave Experiments?

Re: Difference b/w magnetron oscillator and klystron Oscilla

Well, i am not sure that i understood you correctly (what do you mean with " doing microwave experiments), but i' ll try to answer you.
Magnetron is capable to deliver more power then reflexive klystron or gunn diode.
Reflexive klystron was used like oscillator, not classical klystron (with 2 or more resonators), all thought that is possible to achieve if you put phase shifter between output and input, but effectiveness is poor.
This leads us to the magnetron which is high power oscillator, but also it is not coherent.
Gunn diode is a piece of semiconductor, note piece of semiconductor not pn junction, which is small power oscillator, but it may be used as amplifier if you wish (Noise Factor 20 - 30 dB).
I will try to make conclusion:
Magnetron: High power (strongest magnetron are able to deliver pulse power over 100 MW on 10 GHz)
Good efficiency (from 50% up to 80%)
Very poor frequency agility
Reflexive klystron: Small power ( Few Watts on 10 GHz)
Two Voltage Sources are need
Small Noise
Gunn diode: Small Power, although it is possible to achieve greater power on lower freq. (few KW of pulse power)
Poor efficiency (typically 0,2 - 20 %)
Cheap - main reason way they (and impatt diodes) suppressed reflexive klystrons

Hey u can google it dude.
Many articles can be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back