Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spartan 2 configuration method

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_e_m_y

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

What is for you the best, simplest, cheapest method to configure a Spartan II ?
Please describe your method (pc cable and software , configuration device used on board, ...)

Thx :please:

Hi remy,

I am not sure you can have the one and only best answer from me until you tell us what you want to do.

Simple and cheap configuration while developing, debugging and testing will be the JTAG configuration method with the XILINX parallelport adaptor.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/programr/jtag_cable.pdf
( costs only a few EUR)

When your FPGA has finished development state you will notice the difference between a FPGA and a CPLD. While a CPLD has an internal electric programmable and eraseable memory it will keep the last file you downloaded until you erase the chip. The FPGA's have normally not such memory. This is the reason why you have to boot it each time you switch the power on. Without an in system memory you will always have to switch on your PC as well and download again the same file via parallelport.

If ready, a parallel or serial EPROM is best suitable for stand alone applications.

In case you have a µC or DSP on the same PCB the extra memory is not necessary. You can then boot your FPGA directly by the µC or DSP. This system is the most flexible one.

If you have no experience with programming the device (in VHDL and the Eprom files) I would recommend buying or building a JTAG cable for the printer board. EPROMS are very annoying during development phase!!!!!

hope to help you a bit,

aOxOmOx

depending on your applicatio.
For debug jtag is better and faster, for production or serial prom or if you need to upgrade your fiemware a microcontroller based hardware whit flash where store your code is better.
Bye
G.

Thx for your answer.

I'm not used to work with Xilinx FPGA. I'va already worked with @ltera Flex and used a configuration prom, which is downloadable by the jtag link and Bytebl@ster. I found this solution quite easy to use I'd like to use equivallent method with the Xilinx.
But the configuration methods given by Xilinx in datasheet seem to be more flexible, with different methods ... so it is more complex for me to choose the configuration PROM and the associated tools.

:roll:

if you like you can download alwais whit a prom.
is the simplest way.
You must use the rigt prom.
Instead Xilinx proim you can use atmel prom, the series at17 mybe right.

Hi all,

Thx for your help.
I finally find the datasheet which helps me :
h**p://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/publications/ds123.pdf

C U on future topic :D

There are some excellent papers here remy :

**broken link removed**

click on Hardware/Application Notes then FPGA/Configuration

Git

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search