Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switched Capacitor Sample and Hold Circuit: KT/C Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachinagg77

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
kt/c noise

Dear Friends

I would be grateful if someone could explain the KT/C noise (input referred) contribution of Sampling Capacitor (CS) and feedback capacitor (CF) for the standard two capacitor S/H implementation (not the flip around architecture).

Regards
Sachin

sample and hold circuit

I did not remake the derivation but the path is the following:

Have a RC low pass filter. The R is the noise source with 4kT*R. The RC filters so that the power noise density get filtered by 1/(1+omega^2). If you integrate that up to infinity over frequency you get the expression above.

switched capacitor noise

the noise contribution from the sampling capacitor is 2*k*T/Cs, where two times are from sampling phase and integrating phase. the noise contribution from feedback capacitor is 2*k*T*Cf/Cs² due to capacitance divider.

sample and hold capacitor

Thank you for your comments.

Dear Jiangxb

I have an amplifier circuit. It is not an integrator. In phase 1, the capacitor CS samples the input via a switch. In phase 2, the charge is transfered to another capacitor CF (feedback capacitor). This capacitor, along with the op-amp, hold the charge.

Please have a look at the image and suggest your views on the KT/C noise.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards
Sachin

kt c noise

well, the noise contribution only comes from the switches connected with the sampling capacitor Cs, it's 2*k*T/Cs.

flip‐around sample‐and‐hold

Dear JiangXB

Thanks for your response. I agree with you that the KT/C noise should equal "KT/Cs".

I am slightly confused about the KT/C noise presented in the following document (page 242). Please note that this is a different SH architecture (flip-around).

**broken link removed**

The figure referred to in this analysis is as below:
71_1214377124.jpg

If time permits, please have a look and let me know the reason of including CGS (parasitic gate to source capacitance of the op-amp input transistors) in noise calculation.

Thanks for your time
Regards
Sachin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back