Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what type of antennas are used in nokia mobile phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahid78

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
type of antenna used in mobile phones

hi

i am just wondering what type of antennas are being used in the commercial phones e.g nokia , samsung and sony ericsson

where can i find the related information and pictures showing the antenna type

regards

nokia handset antenna

All mobiles use dipole antenna as they are capable of capturing signals from 360degrees. Phone uses signal booster for enhancing the low signal, which we dont get in general purpose modem used in some projects.

nokia basic handsets with antenna

hi ckshivaram

i dont think so that dipole is being used in modern handsets nowadays. they were used in earlier handsets where u can see the antenna protruding from the top.
nowadays all handsets use internal antennas like pifa

balaguru thavamani thanks for posting the link. i have checked it and as i mentioned in my first post , PIFA is the most widely used antenna in handsets

but can you post any other information about the antennas used in latest nokia handsets or samsung

antenna used in nokia mobiles

Microstrip patch antennas are commonly used in mobile communications terminals due to their many attractive
features, such as simple structure, low production cost, light weight, and robustness. Dual-frequency antenna elements
are required, as today’s standard mobile terminals operate in two frequency bands, e.g. GSM900/GSM1800 in Europe.
It is desirable to have more universal phones that operate in multiple systems around the world, but the inherently
narrow impedance bandwidth of patch antennas combined with the restricted volume for the antenna element limit their
applicability in multiband phones.

http://lib.tkk.fi/Diss/2004/isbn9512273810/article9.pdf

antenna used by nokia

Samsung and Nokia do use PIFA for all wide band antennas (850, 900, 1800,1900 MHz). Here is picture from a Samsung U600:
h**p://www.ethertronics.com/photo_gallery/10/
Nokia N95:
h**ps://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=640965&fcc_id='PDNRM-321'
Main difference compared to older PIFA antennas is improved design to cover more bands with smaller and slimmer size. None of them have ever been using dipoles as antenna in a mobile phone due to poor function in available space. Older phones with external antennas have been more or less shortened monopoles.
Both Nokia and Samsung makes singel band phones (2100 MHz) with an embedded monpole antenna.
This type of antenna can get enough height above ground to work reasonable well even as embedded due to the short wave lengt and relative narrow band.
Have never seen a patch as phone antenna but ceramic patches are sometimes used as gps or bluetoth antennas inside a phone.

antenna used in nokia handsets

thanks E Kafeman for your insightful link and helpful comments on modern handset antennas

regards

where are anttennas present in nowdays mobile

fractus antennas are not used much any more mostly PIFA (shorted Patch) are used my company has done several tests on the fractus idea we have found that even though they are well matched they don't radiated as efficiently as other antenna designs (but they are small)

design dipole antenna ceramic monopoles

yes i agree with b4bb4ge . i dont know of any handset manufacturer which is using fractal antennas.

regards

nokia handsets+ antenna type

Generally people use microstrip patch antenna. For better idea you can have a look at the attached file.

nokia fractal antenna

Hi, all:

I believe many handset antennas are using various kinds of PIFA antennas and modified monopoles. The 1st handset without monopole was from Nokia some years ago. I helped them to model it correctly on IE3D.

Some designers are also modified monopoles. A well-known antenna designer from SonyEricsson designed a multi-band antenna using modified monopole. He said the antenna he designed was used by more than 100 million handsets. Interestingly, he told me he was using IE3D on it.

Another interesting fact is that some handset may look like they have a monopole there. However, it s a fake one. Designers want to make a fake one there so that users may feel more comfortable on the handset because they got used to the handsets with some type of monopole antenna. Regards.

microstrip patch antenna for mobiles

at present, some mobile phones use PIFA and some use monopole, because now many phones are small and thin, the PIFA antenna can not satisfy this requirement, so many thin moble phones use monopole antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back