Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altera / Xlinx FPGA Beginer

Status
Not open for further replies.

boseji

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I wish to start my development with FPGA's and CPLD's.
I have knowledge of basics of Digital Circuit design, but I come from a mostly analog and power background.

Kindly help me to start my new endeavor with FPGAs and CPLDs.

I came to know from this forum posts that CPLD is a scaled down version of FPGA or a lesser functionality one. Then In that case I can also start with it.

Please suggest me how I can also get the chips to make my hardware.
I stay in Bangalore,Karnataka,INDIA.

Waiting with Anticipation,

Warm Regards,
Boseji

You may need FPGA Dev Board. Some good boards for example : Xilinx Spartan3 and Spartan 3E Board.

boseji

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If you have a real application, where you want to utilize a CPLD or FPGA, you should select a device corresponding to the application requirements.

You can either start designing the target hardware as for any other part, design a test circuit that includes the FPGA, some key peripherals and power supply (that was my way of learning FPGA) or use a development kit for the device.

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I am unable to find any of the development boards here in India.
So probably I would require to make one. I am aware of signal integrity and PCB EMI related issues. So I hope that I would be capable of designing the boards. But the time required if too much and its too costly since I dont know where to get the chips from.

However I have found a kit for Spartan 3E enclosed is the link:**broken link removed**

Please let me know if I can go ahead and buy this kit for my development.

Warm Regards,
Boseji

@ltera / Xlinx FPGA Beginer

Have your tried the Xilinx distributors in India? I would hope they could sell you the "Spartan-3 Starter Kit" or the "Spartan-3E Starter Kit" made by Xilinx/Digilent.
**broken link removed**

boseji

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@ltera / Xlinx FPGA Beginer

Hello,

Thanks for your help echo47.
I found a contact in CGcorel for getting the boards in my home currency INR. I would post the contacts once I am able to get more information.

Warm Regards,
Boseji

Status
Not open for further replies.