Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detect Simple Vibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

demestav

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
simple vibrations

Hello all,

I want to build a PIC based board to detect simple vibrations to be used as a switch.

My question concerns the sensor. I was told that I could use a buzzer to convert vibrations to voltage which the PIC can read.

It does sound reasonable as a buzzer takes voltage which is converted to vibrations and finally sound. So it will be this process reversed.

I would like to hear your more experienced opinion. Thank you.

Vibrations is a very general term. Depending on the frequency and amplitude, an electromagnetical or piezo buzzer transducer may be suitable as a vibration sensor respectively structural sound sensor or not. As an additional remark: An electromagnetical device usually would need a DC bias current to produce an output signal. Also acoustic guitar pick-ups could be used.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I want to create a simple drum pad. You hit it with a stick and the vibrations detected will generate (through the PIC) a logic signal.

So you think the buzzer will be enough?

I would expect a few 100 mV signal with an electromagnetic buzzer. I tested with a Hitpoint 5V AC PB1220PE05Q type. It seems to have a permanent magnet and thus produve output also without a bias current. Piezo transducers may probably give higher output, but I didn't have any at hand.

So what do you suggest to keep the 100mv long enough to detect it with the PIC?

The "100 mV" is typically a damped oszillation at the 2 kHz buzzer resonance. An amplifier (one transistor or OP) with a diode rectifier can make a suitable detection circuit. Measuring the rectified level with an AD would allow velocity sensitive operation.

Excellent! Thanks! I understand what you are saying. I am not good at all with analogue electronics!

Another issue that arises it the timing. The pad is expected to get hit quickly. This means that I need to adjust the settling time of the pulse to be as short as possible but at the same time be detectable by the PIC. How do you think I can reduce/increase the settling time?

Status
Not open for further replies.