Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XST 1710 warning in VHDL code for VGA interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOps

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

in my VHDL code for VGA interface i am making output of three colours, red,green and blue. I decided to generate some colour, which will always be displayed on the screen.

here is a code for the final AND gates which will output the colour signal:
Code:
			RED_AND:		AND_3
			GENERIC MAP(8)
			PORT MAP ( I0		=>		h_data_on,
						  I1		=>		v_data_on,
						  I2		=>		"11011000",   -- 11011000
						  O		=>		r_out);

now i want to register this signals with D flip flop (since this signal will leave the FPGA chip, it must be registered)

Code:
			RED_REGISTER:	dffn
			GENERIC MAP(8)
			PORT MAP (	Clock		=>		Clk,
							reset		=>		Res,
							ckena		=>		'1',
							d			=>		r_out,
							q			=>		r_outf);

the same code is for other two colours.

well syntach check process goes good. But during the synthesizing i get the following Warnings:

Code:
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_0> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <RED_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_1> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <RED_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_2> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <RED_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_5> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <RED_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_0> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <GREEN_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_1> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <GREEN_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_5> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <GREEN_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_7> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <GREEN_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_1> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <BLUE_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_2> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <BLUE_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_4> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <BLUE_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <q_5> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <BLUE_REGISTER>.
WARNING:Xst:1710 - FF/Latch  <BLUE_REGISTER/q_5> (without init value) has a constant value of 0 in block <VGActrl>.

and the following infos:
Code:
Xst:2261 - The FF/Latch <BLUE_REGISTER/q_7> in Unit <VGActrl> is equivalent to the following 11 FFs/Latches, which will be removed : <BLUE_REGISTER/q_6> <BLUE_REGISTER/q_3> <BLUE_REGISTER/q_0> <GREEN_REGISTER/q_6> <GREEN_REGISTER/q_4> <GREEN_REGISTER/q_3> <GREEN_REGISTER/q_2> <RED_REGISTER/q_7> <RED_REGISTER/q_6> <RED_REGISTER/q_4> <RED_REGISTER/q_3>

Xst:2261 - The FF/Latch <BLUE_REGISTER/q_5> in Unit <VGActrl> is equivalent to the following 11 FFs/Latches, which will be removed : <BLUE_REGISTER/q_4> <BLUE_REGISTER/q_2> <BLUE_REGISTER/q_1> <GREEN_REGISTER/q_7> <GREEN_REGISTER/q_5> <GREEN_REGISTER/q_1> <GREEN_REGISTER/q_0> <RED_REGISTER/q_5> <RED_REGISTER/q_2> <RED_REGISTER/q_1> <RED_REGISTER/q_0>

as you see...all the warnings deal with RED_REGISTER block..

so, the flip flops are created, which never flip or never flop...

i know..its because i assigned constant values right?

Will the synthesizer will totally remove my output signals? or it just removes non used flip flops...and constantly feeds constant signal?

and my quetion is:

Can i ignore these warnings and still put my final synthesized code on the Virtex2 pro FPGA chip, connect monitor and see what it shows?

thanks

XST 1710 Warning

hey can you send the entire code ?

Added after 1 minutes:

I think latches are inferred for those red,blue and green registers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back