Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnet for Magnetic Levitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverstar_28

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
electromagnetism levitation project

Hi Bros,

I have to make an electromagnet out of a straight iron core metal to levitate an object for example a photo frame up to 2kilograms weigh. I need to find out the calculations involved in making the electromagnet. Any there any books or websites which can provide such help? I sincerely appreciately your help.

Regards,
Derrick

build your own electromagnetic levitation

I'll let you know about this.I have seen the complete project designed by students as their final year project.This project was made by students at my friend's universty.It was about magnetic leviation.I haven't seen their project myself, but I remember that, I once have seen the project file made on magnetic levitation in their library.I'll go tommorow at my friend's university and will relocate that project file again,read it and then let you know.

magnetic levitation calculations

Thanks a lot for your help. I seriously need that info. I am totally loss at this .

magnetic levitation sphere

I went to my friend's university, over there I found 4-5 complete projects based on Electromagnetic levitation in the INDEX, but the problem is that their libaray get closed at 2:00PM.
On Monday,Tuesday I get a break from my university at 1:50PM 2:45PM.Today I went from my universty to my friends university, but their libarain told me it's 2:00PM now.The library is getting closed now.
On Wednesday.I will get break from 8:30AM to 10:25AM.I can go at my friends university at this timing to access those information.

formula for levitation

Thanks a lot for your help. I seriously need those informations

pdf in magnetic levitation projects

Today, I read one file regarding Electromagnetic Levitation.I had made video recording of the project file, so you can see it, right now youtube isn't working, so I can't upload the file.I'll update as soon as I get access to youtube.Anywayz in the projects first it was explained about the Soft Magnetic Material and Hard Magnetic Material and about the three electromagnets E-type,O-type and M-type.
They selected M-type electromagnet, after that they selected the Positon Sensor, they used the SOLAR CELL as being the position sensor.Because at one side there was a light soure and on the other side was a solar cell and the suspending was in middle.If the body completely touch the surface, it blocks the light source and Solar cell gives 0 current output.If body was on the most top, it gives the maximum current output.The design was a closed loop system with feedback.There was a position sensor that was giving signal to the controller and the controller was driving the actuator.This was the complete body of the project.But the next thing was how to design the controller smart enough to leviate the body, they used the newton equations f=mg and they calculate the mass of their object, they then find some equilbrium condition by using the differential equation.They had calculated so many things mathematically that it's even harder for me to remember how much mathematic calculations were present, they used the PD compensator for removing the error.The schematic of the circuit was small.They had used some mathematical tools like root locus,bode plot, etc to find out how the system will become in equilibrium, then after this they get the values.Then they design their analog controller, which was made of PD compensator and then acheive the goal.Although this project was made in 2000.I hope to find the mechanical assembly in the institute store room, even if I didn't get there will be many other similar projects based on Electromagnetic Leviation.Mathematic was playing the key role in their project, that institute has many different projects on Electromagnetic Leviation and much expertise over there.I hope that you'll get every kind of help you need for your project.

The video which I had made today was little distored, because use of Camera is not allowed in Library, so I was looking at other people while making video and many a times hiding the camera, so they don't caught me ;)

This will help you see what kind of skills you require in making this.I am just waiting to upload it.If you need more details, I'll ask their teacher to assist me in the project, they'll surely tell me, then I tell you.I also hope to send you a computer scan copy of the project file.

thanks a lot for your help. i mainly need a lot of the calculations to create that electromagnet. i hope there is a scanned report available. thanks for your help

No, scanreport isn't available over there.I have to do the scanning.Still youtube isn't working, then I would have uploaded the video file.You then can see, there was a big portion of mathematics calculation and some engineering softwares were used too to make the system stable.Okay, Tommorow I hope if I get free, I'll go over there again.I'll see the other electromagnetic leviatiation files too and then select the one which is most easy to understand and I'll contact the best teacher of Control Engineering Mr.Ashab Mirza to help me on this project, he has excellent popularity in Control systems and is very famous in this field.Infact your project also comes in the control engineering, because for the compensation Electromagnetic leviation was using the PD controller for compensation, which are the fundamentals for control engineering.

the project consists of 2 portions, the electromagnet and the control system. I am doing the electromagnet portion. I want to understand all the concepts behind the creation of this electromagnet. example is how to determine the amount of current and voltage required to levitate an object of maybe 500grams. 2kilograms is too much in fact which i later thought about.

Is there anyone who you know of that is good in the electromagnet portion?

Well, I have uploaded the video on Google this time, it's processing right now.I'll give you the link shortly.The other thing is that you can't create this project without the control system.Even if you get all the necessary mathematical formulas and other calculation stuff.Then you calculate suppose for 2kg, how much energy you need, its seems ok.But your electromagnetic leviation project won't work good, it won't be stable.It could happen that your body suspends in the air for a short and then drop.All these kinds of systems are very unstable systems.I give you example.Inverted pendulum is a classical example in control system, it's an unstable system.For inverted pendulum it's like you have a metal point on which a pendulum is just placed, now pendulum can drop to any side, so if your pendulum is moving left side, you move your point on left side so it don't drop.If pendulum start to drop to right, you then move your point on right.So pendulum never drop.Like wise there are many example of system which are highly unstable in system and slight deviation make the big problem.Another example, you have seen people walking on ropes, they use their arms for balancing.If they don't balance initialy then they will drop.So they have to keep their balance, walking on rope is highly unstable.Although walking on a road is stable.So Electromagnetic leviation project are unstable in nature, so controller keeps on changing the current/voltage across the electromagnet to keep the body stable, so it don't drift away and fall.I have seen 1 file, which has control system for stability.I'll go tommorow and check other files too.If they have also have control system or not.

Added after 1 minutes:

[video=google;-4597853522725874533]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4597853522725874533&hl=en[/video]

are they using straight core type or ring core material as the magnet?

is there a way to get hold of the reports?

I don't know right now about the core, what I have seen today in the report, it was mention they had use E-core type magnet..I'll go tommorow over there to find out, additionally I'll see their design too as how they are constructed, this will clear all the doubt.There isn't any way to get hands on those reports, they aren't available on the local area network of the institute and legally I can't take those documents out of the institute premises.What else I could do is that, I can take my classmate at their library and let him sit with me for a while, because me and my classmate(friend) had taken the special permission to use the resources.I would then issue a file against my university card and then after sitting there for 15-20 mins.I let my friend sit over there and then secretly take that file out from the institute and then make the photocopy of it from the market and then after making a copy I will go back to the institute and then again sit with my friend and after a while return the project file to the librarian, the librarian would think that I have gone out for some reason and my friend sitting at their library is reading their project file.I think if I mail you that project file by post on your home address,it will take a long time to reach your address and as far as the mailing cost is considered it would be affordable for me, so it won't be a problem for me or maybe instead of sending you the photocopy, I can make bring the photocopy project file with me at home and then make the computer scan copy of that project report and then send it to you electronically.What do you think about this, how should I do ;) ?

thanks a lot and sorry to trouble you though i really need that softcopy very much.. btw, what country are you from?

Well I live in Karachi,Pakistan and where do you live? I'm doing bachelors in Industrial Electronics and what about you, it's a 4 year program and it's getting completed in july 08.

No...No...It's not a trouble for me,don't say like that.Just be frank ;) Instead of you thanking me,I want to thank you, you made me very well interested in that project.I now also want to make this project on my own and want to do all those things, which you want to do, because some time ago, I saw a gadget in which metal earth sphere was eletromagnetically levitating on a frame and the frame was not physically connected to the earth sphere and also the earth sphere wasn't getting anywhere, it was fix electromagnetically.I got fascinated by this idea, but then later on I got very busy on other things and didn't get the time to study the electromagnetic levitation, then later on during my engineering I study the control system, as how they are used to stable the very unstable engineering systems.So doing this project will enhance the understanding toward control and electromagnetism.I'll send you the softcopy of those materials, you just don't worry!

I live in Singapore and is currently studying for a degree in Electrical Engineering. This project is a final year project. Thanks for your help.

Hi, I today went to the university at around 1:20PM, as the library gets close at atound 2:00PM.There were not many people in the libaray.I then looked at all the 5 complete files of the Electromagnetic Leviation.I found every one of them to be almost 100% identical to each other.I found one file, which was very well written and had presented the concepts in a very good way.I read in the project file that without control feedback it's impossible to make the Electromagnetic Leviation project, because of high unstability.
Anywayz, I took the file on my card behalf, but then students sitting over there at the libaray went out and only me and my friends were sitting in the library.So I was thinking to take out the file secretly from the libaray, but my friend told me it's too risky, at this timing.Because no body else is in the libaray.My friend told me you can get caught while taking the file out of the libaray, he further more told me that, we better come on tommorow at around 11:00 PM some where at that timing, where there's large number of people sitting in the library.So it would be safe for us.It was way too much risky today.We'll try on tommorow at better timing.You just don't worry ;)

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
Hey I have got my hands on that Electromagnetic Levitation project file, you know what happened today, me and my friend entered the libaray and issue that project file, libarian ask us, so again you want to read this file?.This time we were over there at 11:30AM and libaray was populated with student.Libaraian ask me, that I have seen you guys coming for this file for few days, why don't you make the photocopy of it and have it as your own copy.After leaving the libaray, we were just laughing madly.I wasn't expecting to hear this thing from the libarian.As that's stuff was infact illegal, but maybe because the librarian know me for a long while.I don't know man,what happend today, but that was cool! I could have asked them for a project file, but I know that they won't give it.
Anywayz, at this time, I don't have scanner at home.I have given the photocopy of the project file to my friend.He'll make scan it and then send the whole document to my email address at night(means about 4-5 hours later from this time of writing).As soon as I get it, I'll forward this mail to you tonight.Later on, I'll additionally ask for other tips from the teacher as how to make this project.
Bye

thanks a lot ,bro.. u helped me a lot.. i really needed that info a lot..

I called my friend right now.He told me scanning is almost done, he told me to which email ID he should forward it to.I asked him to send to my ID, but I can't open my hotmail ID from my computer, there's some problem going on with some sites on my ISP.I would have given him your email ID, so he would forward those documents to me and to you, but I don't remember your hotmail ID.
So what I have done is that I have given my password of umery2k75@hotmail.com to my friend and I have asked him to search the email regarding electromagnetic levitation and I told him once he find your ID, he would then forward that document to your ID using my hotmail account.
So my friend would be using my hotmail ID to send you the document.I am just waiting for a confirmation call back from friend.
Bye

Added after 10 minutes:

I called him again, he told me that it's around 600MB, he might compress using WinZip before mailing you.Once delievery is confirmed.I'll acknowledge at this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.