Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Variable Frequency Generator, for a Tesla Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanky321

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

Im a complete new comer to digital circuits and what not, but im looking to get some ideas/guidance for a frequency generator that I can use for a tesla coil.

I want to use the frequency generator to trigger the spark gap on the tesla coil, at what ever frequency I may choose. I would trigger it with an ignition coil or something similar.

My whole idea behind this is to try and get some kind of musical tone's out of the coil by triggering the spark gap. I would trigger the gap at whatever particular frequency a musical note is. Like 440Hz for example.

Im not sure if this will work, but i want to try and take a stab at it. Its for a project im doing in school. I figure it will be a good learning experience for me with micro controllers and what not.

Thanks!

Andy

That looks like it would do the trick!

I have a question though, on that website it says the frequency and amplitude can be modulated with an external voltage. How is this done? Is it just a range of voltages or something else? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I have no experience with micro controllers or anything like them at all!

The XR2206 is a monolithic function generator integrated circuit capable of producing high quality sine, square, triangle, ramp, and pulse waveforms of high-stability and accuracy. The output waveforms can be both amplitude and frequency modulated by an external voltage. Frequency of operation can be selected externally over a range of 0.01Hz to more than 1MHz.

Thanks!!!!

t is explained thoroughly in the datasheet. It just means that the main output can be modulated by applying a separate signal. Read the whole datasheet. I also has example circuits to do all of the stated properties. Good luck with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back