Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase the phase margin of the OP AMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wael_wael

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi every body

first of all let me till u from my a little experience that the Gain , phase margin and the settling time or slew rate is most important parameters for any OP AMP utilizing in A/D converters, in fact is there any technique to increase the phase margin with out effect the settling time or the gain.
best regards

No.

analogue design is about trade-off's, you just have to find the best balance for the application you intend the amp for.
The closer the amp is to instability, the greater the slew rate and settling time - usually.

wael_wael

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
How about using OTA instead of OPA?

wael_wael

onakaitai said:

It depends on ur usage OTA-lower Cap loads only

OPA-high Cap and resistive loads

wael_wael

The OTA can get high phase margin and SR by increasing the current (increase the power) and increase the CAP load,

V

Phase Margin , gain , bandwidth are all correlated with each other.
Phase Margin(in frequency domain) can reflect the actual settling time (in time domain) at the same time given that slew rate is unlimited. Of course, slew rate will also govern your max. slope of your response as a result your settling time 2.

Thus, choosing the opamp topology is important and ppls normally try to increase the phase margin by doing pole zero cancellation or splitting complex poles.

wael_wael

Of course this is good solution, but the best one is to replace MOS in triode instead of the resistive load.

rajanarender_suram said:
onakaitai said:

It depends on ur usage OTA-lower Cap loads only

OPA-high Cap and resistive loads

wael_wael

thank u guys, i am still have small question that is, when i do the settling time test, how much the Vinput should be? is it small input or high input.
regards

generally small input (say, 10mV) is used to check settling time, large input (1V) to check slew rate

wael_wael

thanx, my problem i have fully differential OTA with gain boosting amp, why the settling time has big different (30n ) between the two outputs, while all the transistors symmetric.
regards

maybe if u post the schematic some one could help

wael_wael

here the OTA
the gain boost opamp is fulyy differential withe PMOS input
regards

is it correct the Vinput of the OTA above are positive volt, it should be negative, right?
regards

wael_wael said:
thanx, my problem i have fully differential OTA with gain boosting amp, why the settling time has big different (30n ) between the two outputs, while all the transistors symmetric.
regards
i guess this can happen if the SR+ is not equal to SR-

No, the compensation capacitance slows down the circuit as one of our prof said: "THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH"

cheers

wael_wael

thank u so much, cap there i can remove it but still the settling time is not same for diff output. other side if SR is not equale, ok i gree with that but why? if all the sizes same

u are slewing from different current sources , i.e. charging and discharging paths are different.
think of it as if the source of asymmetry is the input signal, so if u put the opposite signal u will get the same kind of discrepancy but at the different side.
i.e. when Vinp=Vhigh and Vinm=Vlow u get SR+=X and SR-=X+delta Vop-Vom=V
and when Vinp=Vlow and Vinm=Vhigh u also get SR+=X and SR-=X+delta but the output is reversed such that Vop-Vom=-V
thats what the symmetry help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.