Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can we replace a rheostat with some other component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yviswanathbe

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a rheostat with 30ohm,20watt specification.
Is there any possibility to replace this rheostat with the same criteria so that it will less space in the circuit.
Thanks in Advance.

if ur power requirement is changed to a low one then u can use a variable resistance but if u dont change power but u fix the value of resistor then u can use a ceramic resistor of this much wattage and a fixed resistance

for a more specific solution plz give ur circuit
Regards
Mirza

Thanks.

will normal resistors withstand the specification 30 watts?
n
can i get the resistor(30 ohms) with 30 watt power?

normal resistor cant hold this much. normal resistors are carbon resistors and they are available in .25, .5 and 1Watt only

for high power ceramic resistors are used. i dont know about 30 watt resistors bcz personally i hv used upto 10 watts but even if 30 watt package is not available, use parallel combination of resistors to share the current so 3 resistors of 92ohm and 10 watts each will work in series and share the power giving u 30watts and 90/3=30ohm

Regards
Mirza

Status
Not open for further replies.