Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i supply 12VDC to a circuit that is 1km away ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulkas

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Long distance supply

Hi, first of all sorry for my English. I would like to know how I can supply 12VDC to a circuit that is a distance of 1 Kilometre from the source.

Thanks.

Long distance supply

How much current does the circuit require?
Have you already selected the cable?
One common method of reducing power loss is to send a higher voltage through the cable, and convert it to 12V at the other end.

Re: Long distance supply

Yeah sir echo47 is right and practical!

You can extend your AC power line (230V) at a distance and convert it to DC

just like your local AC power distributor did to your home (actually)

Re: Long distance supply

Ok, there are three seismic sensors into a very long cave, one of these sensors is at 1 kilometre from the entrance of the cave, other sensor is at 500 meters from the entrance and the last sensor is in the mouth of the cave. The power for these sensors are supplied by a group of solar panel outside the cave, because of this there aren't AC lines. What do you think about converting DC to AC (230 VAC) and then in each sensor convert to DC again?.

Thanks to the two.

Long distance supply

If your sensors require very little current, then 12VDC may be fine without any voltage conversion.

If the sensors require higher power, then 230VAC would probably work great, but that much voltage could be a safety hazard in a dark possibly wet cave filled with sharp rocks. A lower voltage may be better in that environment.

Try to determine these values:
1. The minimum voltage required to operate a sensor.
2. The sensor's current draw at that minimum voltage.
3. The minimum output voltage from your solar power source while it is supplying that much current to all your sensors.

Do you already have some cable that you hope to use? If yes, what is it's wire gauge?

If it needs only a few milli-Amperes (in the range of 100mA), can't you just go with batteries?

If sensors draw less current then the same 12V is enough. Even if the voltage drops you can have voltage multipliers which can then then make voltage to 12V, because battries not that reliable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back