Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DRAW VIA HOLE, how to draw via in hfss.plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan6449

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DRAW VIA HOLE

can anybody guide me how to draw via in hfss.plz..... i need urgent

regard
alan

Re: DRAW VIA HOLE

Hi Alan,
in order to draw a via hole in HFSS you just need to draw a cylinder having the desired radius between two conductors on different layers (for example, between the ground plane and the signal layer of a microstrip).
Via holes have a metallization on the inner surface of the cylinder. So, the volume inside must be subtracted from the dielectric substrated crossed by the via itself.

So, summarizing:
1) Draw the cylinder;
2) Subtract the cylinder from the dielectric substrate;
3) Select the cylindrical face in the subtracted region;
4) Apply PEC boundary or Finite Conductivity boundary (so as you can define material ,thickness, roughness, etc.);

Since via holes introduce a parasitic reactance and generally they are not perfect short circuits, thickness of metallization and cylinder radius become fundamental parameters in via holes' design. I advise to run a parametric analysis varying radius and thickness in order to reduce parasitic reactance.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back