Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA evaluation board with > 32K slices

Status
Not open for further replies.

grubby23

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

We are looking for an FPGA evaluation board
to get a simple RISC processor running. It
should have at least 32K slices and I was thinking
of buying a Xilinx Virtex board. As synthesis tool
we would like to use XST 9.2. Anyone has got a hint
where I could get here a good and cheap board ;). We
are using it at university so also some deals for students
would come into question!

many thanks,
philipp

echo47 said:
Remember that "slice" means different things in different FPGAs. For example, a Virtex-4 slice has two flops and two 4-input LUTs, while a Virtex-5 slice has four flops and four 6-input LUTs.

32K slices seems very big for a "simple" RISC processor. The Xilinx MicroBlaze is only a few percent of that:
https://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/proc_central/microblaze_per.htm

Microblaze and Nios-II are 'special-cases', as each are architected around their respective vendor's FPGA-feature set. Hence, both Microblaze and Nios-II are exceptionally compact (for their relative capabilities.) A 'general-purpose' RISC-design isn't come close to touching the frequency/area characteristics.

I do agree 33,000 slices is quite a large amount!

Status
Not open for further replies.