Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car battery charger & car battery for backup power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixote

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi fellow hobbyists,

I'm setting up something that involves a couple of linear actuators (5A each) and a winch that is normally used on ATVs. The actuators will be used to open and close a door as well as latch and unlatch a security device that's attached to the frame of the door. The winch will be used to raise and lower bikes from a pulley system from the ceiling. Each of these devices use 12VDC.

Here is my question: Would it be possible to use a car battery charger hooked up to a car battery, and then hook up the devices to the battery so that the battery will work as a safety in case the power goes out? I do not want to get locked out of my house in case of a power failure. If so, what would the circuit look like? Can I just set everything up in a parallel arrangement? I would like to have the devices feed off the battery and the charger to charge the battery as it needs to without any intervention.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer me and sorry for the noob questions; I'm not really skilled with electronics but they really fascinate me.

-D

This should work, but make sure you have a charger that stops charging when the battery is fully charged. Many low cost chargers are just current sources. Otherwise you will drastically reduce the service life of the battery.

Quixote

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks! I'll be sure to look for that feature when I buy the charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.