Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Excitation in HFSS (Difference% wave port, lump, gap source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter7488

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
wave port site:edaboard.com

I am using the HFSS and I would like to know how to set the port. There are wave port, lump source and gap source. What are their difference ?
What shoud I shoud if we use microstrip line to feed?

Thanks a lot.

lump port excitation

I think if you put your structure in an air box, then you can creat an assign a lump port. If your port plane is on air box, you could use wave port.

waveport excitatation in hfss

peter7488 said:
I am using the HFSS and I would like to know how to set the port. There are wave port, lump source and gap source. What are their difference ?
What shoud I shoud if we use microstrip line to feed?

Thanks a lot.

Simply said -

wave port is a vector port where at first, the modes of fields are computed (TEM, QTEM, TE, TM...). Impedance behaviour gained via wave port is thus very accurate and this is very close to real life. Structure is feeded by wave pattern.
In contrast, lump/gap are only scalar, so for example only voltage is specified between two points. It can be ok for radiation but impedance will suffer.
I don't know exact difference between lump and gap but think they are quite similar.

For microstrip line (line with quasiTEM (QTEM) and dispersion effects) try to always use wave port.

Cheers,
Eirp

hfss port dispersion

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your sharing.

Regards,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor