Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to hide SDRAM refresh time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDA_hg81

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can I hide SDRAM refersh time?

SDRAM refresh time

NO, but if constantly accessing SDRAM, you might need refresh

Added after 34 seconds:

opps I mean you DONT need refresh

EDA_hg81

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: SDRAM refresh time

I confused.

Please a little bit more explanation why I don’t need refresh if DDR SDRAM get constant access.

Thanks.

SDRAM refresh time

basically refresh is re-charging the caps inside the SDRAM, you can do it using internal counter, by issuing refresh command every 64mS, which is setting up row address. Assume you do video decoding in this case yo are constantly accessing to the SDRAM sequentially, row by row, which is eventually, selecting each row, now in any kind of video processing you need to have at least two buffers, one buffer is using to download your stream, other buffer you playing , in case in MPEG you will have up to 4 buffers, which you are constatlly accessing , and you do full buffer scanning
not like if you executing code and stick in the loop and sometimes executing some subroutines

EDA_hg81

Your mean that if SDRAM got constant accessed and every video frame/line is going to be processed less than 64 ms then we do not need to issue refresh command for keeping those data.

SDRAM refresh time

not exactly if you do I-B_B-P something like this then you will need to keep your reference frames, but you still accessing to SDRAM anywhere.

Also be carefull how you you are separating your macrobloks when you putting them in to SDRAM.

What exactly are you doing with video??

EDA_hg81

I am not processing video for realizing H.264.

I am processing RGB video for showing them on display using techniques such as color correction, color enhancement, etc.

If I have to keep some video data for more than 64 ms, SDRAM controller still have to issue refresh command for keeping those data.

If some data have to stored for more than 64 ms how we can keep them if we do not issue refresh command?

Thanks.

SDRAM refresh time

If you scanning same rows for read(write) your data will be refreshed. If you processing RGB, you still need to do color space conversion from YUV, also if you enhancing video ie from 24 to 36 bits or from SD to HD you still have to think you have you accessing SDRAM

EDA_hg81

Yes. You are right.

I am going to put refresh command in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back