Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

X-scale computer-on modules or boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christophe_work

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I just wanted to ask the designers here who's had some experience in designing an application with such a module? It's a sort of mini computer based on an intel X-scale processor running Windows CE.

An example X-board from kontron:

**broken link removed**

Do you know other such boards? I want to make a comparison of what is available and choose the right one.

regards

Actually there are a lot of those SOM available for Xscale.

Check the following links:

SBC-X270 Board: **broken link removed**

Colibri XScale Computer Modules:
**broken link removed**

Embedded products:

**broken link removed**

You can also take a look at the following--a low cost Xscale dev kit (well, a low cost by its standard):

**broken link removed**

I hope this hels you.

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I notice some of these boards have a BTUART (bluetooth UART). Can you give some more explanation about that? What kind of chips are to be interfaced with that ? Is that just TxD, RxD and GND ?(How) Is data sent serially?

Hi,
With most of these System-On-Modules (SOMs) There's normally OS pre-installed.
The X-scale SOMs more or less are compatible with most standard PC interfaces (PCI-compatible).
This means you can mount your system, interface with the necessary peripherals and ur application is ready for deployment (with little effort). You can install the necessary hardware and/or applications.
Of course, this depends on the type of application. You may want to override these features and do your own low level programming (development from scratch). You can do this in C or Assembly. The X-scale is ARM/Thumb compatible at the instruction level (ARMv4).

Added after 3 hours 15 minutes:

What specific application do u need to design? You can download the Data sheet and the developers guide. There's more information there.

The application will be a portable braille decoder for visual impaired students. So basically it includes:

* keypad scanning
* battery management
* LCD driving
* printing
* (wireless) communication with a PC
* writing data to memory and SD card interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back