Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Iris recognition System using microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ervie_3525

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings!!! I am an ECE student. My group is udergoing with our thesis proposal. I would like to ask if is it possible to use a microcontroller for iris recognition system? We thought of using the microcontroller for convulting the registered iris pattern and the input. Is it possible? If then are we gonna use the assmbly language or just C or C++? And can anybody give us any software that would be used if we are to make it a real time application?Thanks ahead..

Sounds like a project more suited to an ARM9 style CPU, rather than a micro controller, maybe a dsPIC would be able to cope, but video and image manipulation require a) lots of ram b) lots of cpu cycles.

Most recognition systems the use a visual cue use an adapted neural net to "learn" the associations, some use discreet pattern matching based on a set number of points ala fingerprint, but I think iris will be a tough one for a small MCU as the image cannot be enhanced to the degree that only relivant data is visable as in fingerprints.

I don't know of any neural nets on MCU's but I am sure people must have made some, so a good google may turn up results.

The project would be a simple affair with an ARM9 cpu and a few megabytes of external ram however so thats the way I would go if I were doing it.

If you are using some sort of webcam to detect the Iris, you will need to access it through OpenCV, which you could easily download from their official website.

What if we are going to use a microcontroller as just an external memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back