Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why the Poly gate layer is longer than Select layer in PCell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quyleanh

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm creating some Standard Cells: NOT, NAND, NOR... with fix parametters. For size optimization, I plan to recreate the NMOS and PMOS cell as design rule from PDK.

I have noticed that the Poly gate layer is longer than Select layer in default PCell. In my customization, the height of Poly gate is shorter than default.

I did check the DRC, LVS, ERC. Everything is OK. But I still do not know why the default has longer. Could anyone please explain it? Thank you very much.

The active gate region (which may be the "Select" layer)
is the intersection of poly and active. Poly extends outward
for the gate access stub (nobody lets you put poly contact
over active, that I have seen).

Gate contact over active has been used for more than a decade in CMOS image sensors (pixels), and now in newer technologies.
Gate over field poly is not the primary reason why poly extends beyond active.

**broken link removed**

COAG (contact over active gate) – A process feature whereby the gate contact is stacked on top
of the transistor gate rather than at its side. Intel has implemented COAG in its 10nm process –
an industry first – thereby improving transistor density.

Reactions: jjx

jjx

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The active gate region (which may be the "Select" layer)
is the intersection of poly and active. Poly extends outward
for the gate access stub (nobody lets you put poly contact
over active, that I have seen).

Gate contact over active has been used for more than a decade in CMOS image sensors (pixels), and now in newer technologies.
Gate over field poly is not the primary reason why poly extends beyond active.

**broken link removed**

COAG (contact over active gate) – A process feature whereby the gate contact is stacked on top
of the transistor gate rather than at its side. Intel has implemented COAG in its 10nm process –
an industry first – thereby improving transistor density.

Thank you all for explaining. I understand that the gate needs to extend outward the active region as @dick_freebird said. But my question is a bit different. Sorry for confusing you.

As image below, the left side is default PCell, the right side is my customization cell. Top is PMOS, bottom is NMOS. You can see that all layer has same size except Poly layer. I have checks simple INVERTER circuit. DRC, LVS, ERC is OK. There is no problem in verification.

1.PNG

In my custom cell, the Poly Layer longer than Island layer but still shorter than Select layer.

My question is, why the default PCell needs to extend the Poly Layer when it is no need. If the Poly Layer is shorter as my custom. The total size of whole layout will be decreased.

There's always a finite "poly extension of active" rule to
ensure that the channel and the transition to, and the
close-in isolation sidewall have an electrode in authority
(plus alignment, litho blowout margins) over the active
channel region. Without it, oxide charge in overlayers may
cause edge leakage and worse yet, inconsistently so.

What is the purpose of the Select layer and why are you wanting to create your own transistor pcells?

There's always a finite "poly extension of active" rule to
ensure that the channel and the transition to, and the
close-in isolation sidewall have an electrode in authority
(plus alignment, litho blowout margins) over the active
channel region. Without it, oxide charge in overlayers may
cause edge leakage and worse yet, inconsistently so.

Sorry but what is "transition to"? Do you mean the transitor oxide?
Btw, thank you for your help...

What is the purpose of the Select layer and why are you wanting to create your own transistor pcells?

Nselect or Pselect layer indicate where the semiconductor is implanted n-type or p-type atoms, respectively. It derived by bloating the implant layer (in this case, it is Island layer)

Because I create the standard cell, I need to make sure the MOSFET which I am using has the smallest size. I realize that the default MOSFET does not have smallest poly gate width, so I wonder the reason behind it.

From your picture it appears as if you are measuring from a thin/thick oxide type of layer and not the P+/N+ implant layer. The implants layers will typically completely enclose the active layer and what you are measuring to does not. Your select layer could also be some type of VT implant also.

From your picture it appears as if you are measuring from a thin/thick oxide type of layer and not the P+/N+ implant layer. The implants layers will typically completely enclose the active layer and what you are measuring to does not. Your select layer could also be some type of VT implant also.

I think there are some confuses here...

- There are 3 layer in this layout: Poly layer which forms the Gate, Select and Island (or active) layer which define the Source and Drain
- The white inside border is active layer, which will be implanted N+ or P+ type. The width of device is measured according to this layer.
- The violet layer is Pselect layer (above is PMOS)
- The green layer is Nselect layer (below is NMOS)
- There is no implant layer, just implant region (in 3D silicon structure). Am I wrong?

I did compare (measure) both Select and Island layer (which you can see in the figure). My custom and the default is the same for all parametter (length, width, space between layer, inner space, outer space...). Except the Poly layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back