Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

test switch for Latched or pulsed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car_modifier

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do you test a circuit to see if it's latched or pulsed. Mainly Rear defrost on 04 Dodge Intrepid. I think I figured it out but would like someone to confirm...

Pulsed: when I press the button to activate the rear defrost it sends out a quick pulse to activate defrost relay (negative pulse into a positive system) this would cause the voltage to drop quickly and briefly from 12v +

Latched: When I press the button it sends out a steady negative current to drop the voltage from 12v + for a duration (10min) then turns off and voltage resumes to 12v+

Is this correct?

Last edited:

i would think that there is a timer module. When you press the switch, you put a pulsed earth on an input to the timer. The timer then runs and turns on a local light (LED?) and a big switch to connect the battery + to the screen heater. When the timer runs out it it switches every thing off. I hope this helps :)
Frank

i would think that there is a timer module. When you press the switch, you put a pulsed earth on an input to the timer. The timer then runs and turns on a local light (LED?) and a big switch to connect the battery + to the screen heater. When the timer runs out it it switches every thing off. I hope this helps :)
Frank

Didn't help... just want to confirm my above post as to the discriptions of a pulsed or latched system...only got a volt meter to workwith.

If the switch is latched then you need to push it again to unlatch it. Measure its contacts for a voltage, then push the switch if the voltage changes, then goes back when the push the switch again, its a latching switch. Check all contacts with the button pressed at least 3 times. if all you see (or might not see)is a glitch on your voltmeter when you press the switch then its a momentary contact type. The pulse may be too fast to register on a voltmeter.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.