Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ground Connection with PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkates2218

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
image_3.png

In this PCB,the copper pour will be connected to ground(Earth point from power supply).
But while pouring the copper all the parts are not filled with copper due to tracks.
If the circuit is big means when pouring copper for ground means it filling on outer side of track only.

Is this is correct or have to change something for connecting earthing.

None of the tracks are grounded but I suspect they should be. When you did the copper pour, did you specify the ground node should be connected to it?

Brian.

Hi,

I´m not sure: Are you talking about the blue layer or the red layer?

If blue layer:
If you want the copper pour to be connected with GND then signal_name(schematic) needs to be equal to polygon_signal_name.

If you want to copper fill the space between the traces (even if not connected to GND signal) then
* press INFO and click on the polygon outline. An info window apprears. Check ORPHANS. Close the info window. Perform a RATSNEST.

Klaus

Hi,

I´m not sure: Are you talking about the blue layer or the red layer?

If blue layer:
If you want the copper pour to be connected with GND then signal_name(schematic) needs to be equal to polygon_signal_name.

If you want to copper fill the space between the traces (even if not connected to GND signal) then
* press INFO and click on the polygon outline. An info window apprears. Check ORPHANS. Close the info window. Perform a RATSNEST.

Klaus

This is working fine.If the +5VDC's NEGATIVE supply have to connect with copper pouring means how to do it..?
The earthing have to connect with mounting holes and +5VDC's NEGATIVE supply have to connect with components GND pin

- - - Updated - - -

None of the tracks are grounded but I suspect they should be. When you did the copper pour, did you specify the ground node should be connected to it?

Brian.

Outer Copper pouring is connected

Hi,

Hi
If the +5VDC's NEGATIVE supply have to connect with copper pouring means how to do it..?
* +5VDC's NEGATIVE supply --> What´s the exact SIGNAL NAME?
* copper pouring --> What´s the exact SIGNAL NAME of this POLYGONE?

Both SIGNAL NAMES need to be the same. That´s all.

Klaus

Hi,

* +5VDC's NEGATIVE supply --> What´s the exact SIGNAL NAME?
* copper pouring --> What´s the exact SIGNAL NAME of this POLYGONE?

Both SIGNAL NAMES need to be the same. That´s all.

Klaus

Connecting +5VDC's NEGATIVE supply with earth is not an issue..?
For learning i'm asking..

But while pouring the copper all the parts are not filled with copper due to tracks

If you are doing a single layer PCB, you can reach surrounded regions by skipping over obstacles e.g adding a 0R0 resistor from the outside GND plane inwards to there.

Hi,

Connecting +5VDC's NEGATIVE supply with earth is not an issue..?
For learning i'm asking..

Depends on what you want.

If you want a floating supply (wrt EARTH) then you should not connect them.

With SMPS it´s common practice to connect ouput_GND with EARTH via a (safety) capacitor to suppress HF (common mode) noise.

Klaus

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Depends on what you want.

If you want a floating supply (wrt EARTH) then you should not connect them.

With SMPS it´s common practice to connect ouput_GND with EARTH via a (safety) capacitor to suppress HF (common mode) noise.

Klaus

I'm using SMPS to power my circuit.
Shall I use capacitor between Earth and GND in SMPS's output terminal itself or have to place the capacitor in PCB..?

Hi,

there is no general answer. It depends on a lot of parameters.
(Your country's regulations, safety standards, SMPS circuit, noise, ...)

In worst case the SMPS is already earthed and with a second earthing you generate a loop.

Klaus

Hi,

there is no general answer. It depends on a lot of parameters.
(Your country's regulations, safety standards, SMPS circuit, noise, ...)

In worst case the SMPS is already earthed and with a second earthing you generate a loop.

Klaus

shall I create two polygons..?
1.To connect +5V's ground supply.
2.Another to create an copper pour around the track and shall i connect it to earth..

Hi,

My personal answer: I don´t know.
I don´t know why you want to use EARTH at all. What is it good (or used) for?
I don´t know your requirements.
I don´t know your complete circuit, wiring...
I don´t know the regulations of your country.

Klaus

Have you routed the ground also as tracks?

When i see your PCB, i don't see any necessary extra ground connection. But It might be useful covering ground plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back