Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AD9851 what is the output level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, in this schematic (attached) what is the output signal level of the AD9851? Is it -5dBm? I need to verify if I am reading the datasheet correctly, that is why I am asking.
Also, to measure the power level on a scope (at 50R), should I use the high impedance probe, since there is a 50R shunt in the output of the circuit?

Thank you

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:

Yes, the output level of the AD9851 is just below 0dBm with few dB. You need an amplifier which will provide also the necessary output impedance.

http://telecnatron.com/articles/Variable-Gain-Amplifier-For-AD9850-DDS/index.html

I do not agree with the AD9850 output level versus frequency chart.
Maybe it is measured on 200R and I used 50R, or maybe because I use the AD9851 instead.

The point is, by testing the AD9851 circuit shown on post 1 on an analogue spectrum analyzer, I found it's output level to be flat within less than 1dB from 2-29MHz.
I varied the frequency in MHz steps and noticed the signal peak on the analyzer. I also varied the frequency of the analyzer and checked the DDS signal at the center position of the screen at different frequencies. The signal was always flat within 1db, maybe less but I could not notice it on this old analyzer.

I just do not have a means of measuring the output level, as this analyzer does not have markers, that is why I asked here.

I would like to avoid external amplifiers to the DDS, because the levels are sufficient for measurements on the analyzer, and because I worry of ruining the flatness of the signal level and introducing unwanted harmonics.
I found the ad9851 to be very clean on the 2-30MHz and I did not want to spoil this.

Last edited:

Depends on intended operation. The generator has 50 ohm output impedance, it can be either operated with high impedance or matched 50 ohm load. In the latter case, the output level is halved.

According to my calculation, output level with 3.9k is 500 mVpp into to internal 50 ohm termination, respectively 176,8 mV RMS. dBm measurement sense with matched load, 88.4 mV into 50 ohm is -8 dBm. The output current can be increased up to 20 mA by adjusting Rset, giving 6 dB of power margin.

Depends on intended operation. The generator has 50 ohm output impedance, it can be either operated with high impedance or matched 50 ohm load. In the latter case, the output level is halved.

According to my calculation, output level with 3.9k is 500 mVpp into to internal 50 ohm termination, respectively 176,8 mV RMS. dBm measurement sense with matched load, 88.4 mV into 50 ohm is -8 dBm. The output current can be increased up to 20 mA by adjusting Rset, giving 6 dB of power margin.

So the circuit on #1 is giving around -2dBm with the 50R shunt resistor in place?
I will have to test it but I believe that the altering of the resistor for increased level won't come without shortcomings, such as increased distortion or other things

I believe that the altering of the resistor for increased level won't come without shortcomings, such as increased distortion or other things
Only moderately, see SFDR over output current diagram in datasheet.

I notice that you don't have an output low pass filter, thus carrier residuals will be present in output signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back